Wondering how many steel players
Run the band. Looking for advice
Gigs. Booking. Practice time ECT
Advice

Pw

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 9:57 am    

Yeah, I've run Beats Walkin' for about 25 years...

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 10:26 am    

I ran a band that started in the early 80's and ran through the early 90's . A very different time for sure. We worked between 3-5 nights a week, doubtful there are many places to do that any more.
Personalities- the players and the club owners will drive you crazy.
And yes ' all the headaches you think you might incounter...you will.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 10:30 am    

Oh! You asked who "RUN" their own band; I thought you asked who "RUIN" their own band... my mistake. You can ignore my reply above. Wink

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 11:21 am    

I did for years but turned it over to the Lead player. We have no practice time and he takes care of the gigs. And Believe it or not , we have no problems { even with the new songs }.

When we want a new song , everyone goes on the net , learns the tune and can transpose to what ever key the singer needs. Works great!

Best of all We All Get Along Great and have for years.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 11:35 am    

Robert Randolph comes to mind, as well as most of the Sacred Steelers. I also know that Gary Carter was the "musical director" when he was touring with a couple of famous Nashville acts, and it's likely that Buddy Emmons was, too. Of course, if you go back to the '50s and earlier, guys like Alvino Rey, Leon Mcauliffe, Noel Boggs, and Speedy West come to mind. It was a lot more popular when instrumentals were a big thing. Nowadays though, famous instrumental groups are kind of rare...except in the jazz arena. Oh Well

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 7:40 am     How many p.s.g. players run their own band

I do. I got tired of guitar and fiddle players playing on top of me and the singer, so I just formed my own band.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 7:59 am    

I'm like Mr. Spock...I do NOT desire command.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 8:53 am    

Don't know that Emmons ever toured with his own band,,,,Blondie Caldrone was band leader for Ray Price,,,not sure who was band leader for the 4-5 years Buddy was with Miller,,,,probably Thumbs Carlisle.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 8:59 am    

Being bandleader is a PITA, I'm just sayin'...

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 1:15 am    

I inherited running the band (I'm in) when the Bass player (who started it) left. As I was the only one who had run bands in the past, I got the job by default.
I announced that I was not the leader but the 'Facilitator' and have spent the last few years trying to get the others to assume some responsibilities within the band. As the main vocalist, gig organizer, practice arranger, New song suggester, Sound and Lighting guy, Roadie etc. I found it was too much for one person to do. It should be a democratic setup and shared work load for it to work, otherwise somebody will then feel left-out and bitter. The others agree that I have too much to do and have allocated jobs such as collecting the money, Sound, Vocal arrangements etc.
Find someone in the band who has strengths (or willingness) and discuss a division of responsibilities.
Sandy

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 1:57 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Don't know that Emmons ever toured with his own band,,,,Blondie Caldrone was band leader for Ray Price,,,not sure who was band leader for the 4-5 years Buddy was with Miller,,,,probably Thumbs Carlisle.

I always thought Buddy only played bass for Roger Miller?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 6:54 am    

I ran my own group, the "Herb Steiner/Melissa Miller Band," for 2 years, 1988 thru 1989. On New Year's Day 1990, I gave Melissa the band, the gigs, and the PA equipment. Complete burn-out. I then told her I was quitting music and going to concentrate fully on my newspaper advertising manager gig and finally make some money.

Which I did. Didn't play a gig for 2 years. Then in January 1992 Jim Loessberg asked me to take over the gig with Johnny Bush (Jim was too busy with school and day job), and I stayed with Johnny as a Bandolero for 14 years.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 7:54 am     Run your owen band

Wow thanks for all the good replays
I did run my owen band up in Wisconsin
For 2 years what a pain in the neck
Getting players together and helping with gear setup ECT to much for one person
I was thinking about doing again but with
Players I know . let's here some more stories

P.w

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 8:16 am    

One thing I've found that makes a big difference is if some of your band members are full time musicians and others are part timers with another source of income. This can lead to different needs and expectations and conflicts about choices that need to be made along the way.

Dale Thomas

West Branch, IA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 8:13 pm    

I've led a western swing band playing pedal steel and singing while fronting from
1960 til disolving th Dec. 2018. Check my facebook.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 6:02 am    

I doubt that very many do, but IMHO, the steeler should at least be the band leader.

It seems like we are the only one on stage that REALLY cares what the music sounds like.

I do my best to never play on top of another player or the singer, but it seems that every band I play in, the other lead players want to play all the time.

Exception, last Friday night. I was invited to play in a 7 piece band for a dance in Pensacola. Skeptical I was, but boy am I glad that I accepted.

Four, countum, 4 lead players and not once did anybody play on top of the other. It was a true pleasure AND I get to do it again in 3 weeks.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 3:46 pm     Leading a band

I started my own band 10 yrs ago because I wanted to play music that I wanted to play and not some singer songwriter type. Had my own ideas, vision, songs, etc. At first the ppl I had were very good but I had to kinda do everything. About 5 yrs ago I found this singer and bass player who had much more experience than me, and are great to work with, committed, hard work etc. I kinda turned a lot of booking and management to them, but I still get to do songs I want.
Biggest thing I learned is to know when to let ppl run with the ball and when to veto. These ppl are really good and have excellent arranging skills and ideas. So I try to make sure they have some ownership and skin in the game. Even if I don’t totally like something I tend to let it go because they are super valuable players and ppl. Worth it to give in once in a while. I believe that is why I have had consistent group for 5 yrs now. Only getting better, ton o fun, and slowly getting better gigs. As far as booking gigs, that is tricky. We mix obscure old songs we like with originals and pepper that with big hits of 40s and 50s and such. Not sure how we are getting away with it, but we are. I would have thought we would need to do more hits, but ppl will tolerate things they don’t know if you sell it well I guess.
We are playing beach gigs, biker bars, fancy parties, upscale lounges, and festivals. Bass player had some connections but it took forever for even those to pan out. Sometimes we have to pay a booking person small % of take, but those gigs have led to many others so it was worth it. It hasn’t been easy, in fact downright a PITA, but when it hits on something good it is very satisfying. Btw, I play a S10 non pedal on a stand, I stand up at it, and play guitar and sing. I take steel breaks with the lead guitar player, he covers me when I jump on steel. I play with finger picks for guitar as well as steel. Had to get used to that. It’s kinda fun tho.
Anyway, that’s my experience. Hope it helps. We rehearsed once a week for years, sometimes one on one in between. These days we meet up when we want to add new stuff or tighten up. I have a music room we play in. I have a democratic type setup now, was more just me when started. I much prefer group effort and camaraderie. But that is not easy to find. Sometimes you have to be the heavy and say yes or no with conviction. Not always fun. With this group now I don’t have to do much of that. In fact they are doing some shows without me even, when I have schedule that just wont work. They have my sincere blessing. Kinda proud of them for that. Gets me off the hook when I have too much going on with fam. I have wife and kids, they don’t, so they want to play more. It works out. Let us know how it goes.
Cheers. TC

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 3:18 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
I doubt that very many do, but IMHO, the steeler should at least be the band leader.

It seems like we are the only one on stage that REALLY cares what the music sounds like.

I do my best to never play on top of another player or the singer, but it seems that every band I play in, the other lead players want to play all the time.

Exception, last Friday night. I was invited to play in a 7 piece band for a dance in Pensacola. Skeptical I was, but boy am I glad that I accepted.

Four, countum, 4 lead players and not once did anybody play on top of the other. It was a true pleasure AND I get to do it again in 3 weeks.

bill,
that was always my problem with guitar players when to play and went not to play Mad tom nice post i hear you. let's hear some more stories ...

p.w

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 3:33 am     Free Beer

I play so bad that I don’t even want me in the band, LOL. I have thought about this often, and if I were to start a band, I know exactly how to pack the house! The name of my band would be “FREE BEER”. I can see it now, outside on the marquee, FREE BEER, every Friday and Saturday.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 4:03 am     Band

Gary
Not a bad idea Laughing I might do that
Very Happy

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 11:53 am    

I agree Bill Ferguson with you and that has been something I have always dealt with and some just don't care or don't get it.I don't play out anymore but even the guys I get together with once a week it is the same thing.Jim Cohen, I always had a day job and knew the difference even then,but I agree that full time musicians were more in tune with not playing over everyone. JMHO

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 12:08 pm     Leading a band

Your profile says jazz. Are you wanting to start a jazz group? I dream of doing a jazz trio one day. For now swing tunes is about as jazz as we get. One day I want to try my hand at jazz standards. There is no reason a steel player can’t run a band. Drummers lead bands, why not Steel?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 5:24 am    

I am always putting something together. Mostly project based. I do run my own band sometimes. For me it’s about not finding anybody doing music that I want to hear. So I find musicians, artists, composers, venues and basically whatever it takes and get the ball rolling.

Here is what I’ve put together for this Sunday in austin.

http://liminalsoundseries.com/june-28-30-musik-in-nebel-fog-music/

It’s a new music chamber orchestra concert. I’m playing a version of a piece written for Susan Alcorn.

Putting projects together is a big hassle but it is a welcome alternative to playing with and for drunk people and all those desperate future big stars !