The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA pull rod collar
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 1:27 pm    

What exactly are msa pull rod collars. I know it’s not a proprietary part. I’m just trying to scource some locally.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 3:12 pm    

You won't have much luck where you live Laughing

Gerald Smith

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 4:52 pm    

Dustin, the only collar I know are the ones on the reversing knee lever, they go on pull rod about a quarter inch behind the changer finger, this stops the rods from coming out when you fold the reversing lever. Hope this helps.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 6:17 pm    

No I’m talking about the collar that holds the pull rod in the bell crank

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 8:23 pm     MSA Pull rod collar

The name some suppliers call the part you are talking about is (Barrel, Locking Rod, Brass 5/16" Long.) Some people refer to them as Rod connector.
There is another guitar company that uses the same type of connector but it is 3/8" Long.
I have made them to fit in the 2 MSA's I own.
If you have access to a miniature lathe and drill press they are easy to make.
Good Luck

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 9:46 pm    

https://www.psgparts.com/Barrel-Locking-Rod-Brass-BBL-250.htm

`

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 6:20 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
https://www.psgparts.com/Barrel-Locking-Rod-Brass-BBL-250.htm

`

Yes Donny I know Michael sells parts.... I’m just trying to see what the MSA classic is made of and do a little experimenting on the cheap, and gain some knowledge in the process.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 7:28 am    

Would this work?
https://www.mcmaster.com/set-screw-shaft-collars

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 11:40 am    

I checked those out Dan but those aren’t what I need. They’d do in a pinch with a little modification. Google is your friend and what I’ve found so far is the pull rod collars are actually barrel cable clamps, mostly used on carburetors and bicycle brakes. I’m sure there are other uses as well. They have slotted grub screws vs. the hex head screws that are used on the MSA guitars. It just dawned on me that most of the builders/repair techs for PSG are well their way to being octogenarians. Sooner or later, younger generations are going to have to learn this stuff in order to keep steel guitar going... I guess I’m trying to think ahead...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 3:24 pm    

I understand perfectly, Dustin! I used to make these myself with just a drill press, and I'd get the 1/4" stock from volume control shafts I'd cut off to install in various guitars.

We're all happy when we find a generic/cheaper item that will work in a pedal steel application. That said, the ones Michael sells are the right size and they have the correct socket screws, and the price of $9 (for a quantity of 4) seems reasonable. I've found other things that would work, but all the alternatives are also around $2 each, so it winds up pretty much a wash.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 5:46 pm    

I looked into this a while ago. I think your best bet other than the barrel cable clamp (which I haven't found in drop-in replacement dimensions) is to buy a 5/16" round brass 8-32 standoff from McMaster or wherever and drill a hole through the side. I'm not a machinist though, so I don't know the best way to drill the hole centered through the shaft.

Then I just went and bought some barrels from Michael. Smile

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 7:28 am    

Matthew Walton wrote:
I looked into this a while ago. I think your best bet other than the barrel cable clamp (which I haven't found in drop-in replacement dimensions) is to buy a 5/16" round brass 8-32 standoff from McMaster or wherever and drill a hole through the side. I'm not a machinist though, so I don't know the best way to drill the hole centered through the shaft.

Then I just went and bought some barrels from Michael. Smile

Well, like I said earlier, this is more of some experiments and sourcing. I know Michael sells parts. Good parts. Maybe this should be a subject for another thread,but, find me a PSG mechanic/tech/builder under the age of 50. I read the gone home section a lot. Most of the guys who had a hand in developing the instrument we all know and love today are gone. I’m afraid that knowledge may be gone or going too...maybe I think too much...

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 7:47 am    

It slipped my mind to talk about this in my original comment, but I 100% agree. Whenever I take my steel to get worked on, I start thinking I should just quit my day job and badger my way into an apprenticeship.

I have friends my age who are machiningly proficient, and I more or less understand how my MSA goes together and is set up. But the kind of understanding someone like Mitchell Smithy has of timing pulls and creating a butter-smooth playing experience is just a whole other level.

I think about it a lot as well, and no, I don’t think you’re thinking too much. There was a thread recently about how old the forum members are, and I took all that data and created a histogram. The mean age is 66.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 8:20 am    

I don’t know about quitting your day job. Ain’t nobody gettin fat on psg Very Happy . I’m just talking about all pull guitars. I know oh maybe 5 guys that really know their way around a push pull or pull release guitar.... For the sake of the instrument it’s time to pass on those trade secrets to Gen X so that we may be able to teach and inspire those that will come after us.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 4:53 pm    

Dustin Rigsby wrote:
I don’t know about quitting your day job. Ain’t nobody gettin fat on psg Very Happy .

You'd be surprised, really! Winking

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 7:56 pm     MSA Pull Rod Collar

I consider myself lucky to have the background I have to work on steel guitars.

I went to machinist school out of high school. Then went to the Army, When I returned from the Army I worked for Westinghouse, On Light bulb assembly machines that make under side of a steel guitar look simple. In about 1968 I built a steel guitar, Got A-B-C pedals to work, Started trying to play it.

A few months ago I helped a friend work on his steel. He had a Mickey Adams lesson on steel setup. From watching his video, I found some points to set up a pedal or lever in a certain order to go quicker and easier.
The guitar I am gigging is a GFI which makes me happy, If I have a problem I can get new parts in just 2 or 3 days from the company, And get it back serviceable quickly.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 2:23 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Dustin Rigsby wrote:
I don’t know about quitting your day job. Ain’t nobody gettin fat on psg Very Happy .

You'd be surprised, really! Winking

Really Question

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 2:39 am     Re: MSA Pull Rod Collar

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
I consider myself lucky to have the background I have to work on steel guitars.

I went to machinist school out of high school.

The guitar I am gigging is a GFI which makes me happy, If I have a problem I can get new parts in just 2 or 3 days from the company, And get it back serviceable quickly.

Without getting political, we’ve done future generations a great dis-service by doing away with vocational training.

What’s not to love about the GFI guitar! It’s like a Dodge Hellcat...sleek, fast, and modern! The culmination of Gene Fields’ work at Fender, MSA, and EMCI. Easy to work on too!