The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  anybody want to jam in the Los Angeles area?
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 1:02 pm    

Hey everybody out there -- hope I've put this in the right place on the forum.

I'm a long-time guitarist who started pedal steel a couple years ago -- I'm good at some things but not at others -- I'd like to see if anybody local in LA wants to get together and jam, trade licks and in general discuss how to progress on the instrument. Looking for anybody at any skill level, as long as they are patient! I don't have tracks but we can put on a record like the old days if need be. I'm in the LAX area / Westchester but I can drive out a bit. I'm thinking of a monthly thing so people can plan on it.

I do attend the SWSGA steel jam in May and November in Vista, by the way, and also the Phoenix show every year.
But it's not enough and I want to find like-minded people to hang with. Gimme a shout.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 4:40 am    

We had an annual steel jam here for about 8 years, but it eventually fell apart. We lost 2 of our best players when Al Vescovo passed away and John McClung moved to Washington State. Then we lost the use of the banquet room in the restaurant in Highland Park where we held the jam, and moved to the Sam Ash Store in Cerritos, then we lost the use of that room.

It all just got to be too much trouble. But it was cool while it lasted.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 8:24 am    

George, email me and I'll get you contact info for a good player Tim Walker, lives in Venice. You can always start with just one other guy, he'll know people, you might have a multi-player jam in no time!

I used to belong to a Westside Classic Country Meetup group, they were kind of flakey, but I'd suggest hunting for currently active country music meetups. That one had singers, Tele slingers and bass players.

Mark McConville

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 8:43 am    

I'm an LA based player and I'd be interested in a jam if anything ever comes together here in the area.