The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Resonator sound hole plugs?
Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 6:13 am    

Anyone ever tried replacing the two screens with smaller versions of a rubber sound hole plug like they make for acoustic guitars? I'm getting a workable live sound with the nashville pickup and aura pedal but could still use a way to reduce the sensitivity of the guitar body to those occasional feedback blooms.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 7:54 am    

Good auto parts stores sell expandable replacement freeze plugs in many diameters... a cheap solution to experiment with.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 2:35 pm    

A Good Idea from Stephen. Another thing to try would be some Screenless Rings from a Reso Parts Supplier and fill in the rings with plastic, wood, cardboard, whatever you got.

Good Luck with The Project! Cool

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 3:15 pm    

I'll share my experience. I used to own a Schertler electronics equipped Wechter with screenless rings. I took a piece of magnetic sheet, bought some cheap adhesive backed pickguard material and cut it all to fit.

Caveat #1: In this photo, the Ickes version has a shorter fret board for it's factory pickguard than the normal reso. A single piece like this won't fit there on my higher end guitars, so I have to make 2 separate pcs.

Caveat #2: The sound hole rings must attract a magnet, materials such as chrome plate etc. Stainless is a non-ferrous metal so it won't work on those.

I've got some cheap rings coming from CBGitty.com to use for this on my newer reso. I'll just swap 'em out.

I also used some sheet and made a water slide decal on some sheet from a hobby store kit in the other photo.

When I don't need them, I just stick them somewhere on the cover plate out of the way.

Michael's idea is good too. Just cement something on the back side of the screens would work too.

With my method though, you can have them covered or open by just pulling off the hole covers.