The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone Lyric, early model, schematic diagram.
Walter Webb

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 6:43 pm    

I've got a Magnatone Lyric, single pickups, early 50s. It sounds great, but the tone control does nothing. The wiring has been messed up. The capacitor is missing, snipped out, and I don't know where the other end would have gone. I've tested the pot with an ohmmeter and it's good. It's odd that the volume pot has only two lugs, but it appears to be stock.

Does anyone have any diagrams, fotos, etc of what the wiring should look like under the knob and switch cover? Someday, this forum should have a database of wiring diagrams for all kinds of steels.

Would someone with a Lyric mind flipping the cover over and taking a pic, like this? Or sketch out a schematic?

The two light green vinyl/plastic wires coming up from the body cavity to the 3 way switch go to the pickups. The yellow and dark grn wires on the lower left go to the jack. The dark grn wires are all part of the grounding circuit. You can see the snipped capacitor lead on the lower right pot lug.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 5:49 pm    

Walter, I hope this helps. The first diagram was for my Magnatone D-8 Lyric, but it's the 2 pickup on each neck model G-85-DW. When I bought it, I knew I would have to replace the TONE pot, as the stem/shaft of the pot was broken off. I carefully made this diagram, to make sure I properly connected the wires to the correct terminals.

The 1957 MOTS Magnatone diagram looks like it's meant for the single neck, one pickup lap steels. Both show the .02 cap attaches to the TONE and VOLUME pots, but slightly differently.

Walter Webb

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 1:15 pm    

[quote="Butch Pytko"]Walter, I hope this helps. The first diagram was for my Magnatone D-8 Lyric, but it's the 2 pickup on each neck model G-85-DW. When I bought it, I knew I would have to replace the TONE pot, as the stem/shaft of the pot was broken off. I carefully made this diagram, to make sure I properly connected the wires to the correct terminals.

Thanks. That helps a lot. Odd that the neck switch isn't 3-way, allowing one, the other, or both necks to be selected.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 5:35 pm    

OK, I'm sorry for the confusion, if you're referring to my diagram that shows the switch. That diagram is duplicated on the other neck, so there are 2 on/off switches, one for each neck. You can turn each neck on or off, or have both on at the same time. Both necks have their own volume and tone controls. Good luck!

Edit: OK, I just reread your comment about the 3-way switch. Are you referring to your Magnatone model or mine?