The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Needing Quick Help!
Dashawn Hickman

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 10:31 am    

Afternoon fellow steel players. I've been here a few time seeking help and was able to fimd what i needed. So im back again.
While practicing last night i went to engage my knee lever and it popped. I am in need of this little part(see picture below ) fairly quick. Like a 2 day turn around if thats possible. Have a recording sesson coming up.
Any help or direction to the right place would be greatly appreciated. Its for a Carter

Peace and Love

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 10:46 am     part?

just a suggestion, but if you cannot get the part on time, you could borrow the part from a pedal or lever that you don,t use as much....thanks jack

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 10:53 am    

Steel Guitars Canada has Carter parts
http://www.steelguitarscanada.com/online-store/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2017-Carter-Parts-Catalog-2.pdf

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 10:55 am    

It's impossible to tell what's wrong from your pictures - too dark and lacking close-up details.

Did the small part break, or did a set screw come loose?

WHICH knee lever isn't working?

Exactly which Carter guitar?

Where are you located (in case someone knows somebody local to you that might have parts or be able to help)?
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dashawn Hickman

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 11:04 am    

Mr Jack.......
You're the man!! Good idea, problem solved and will give me a little time to get spare (barrel nuts)

Brian- i checked out Mr Brisco unfortunately im not in the need for a lot of product right now. Sound crazy seeing how i just broke something 😯
Thats quick help indeed
THANKS GUYS

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 7:02 am    

I have a few odd & ends Carter parts in a can. If your still looking post a brighter/clearer picture of what you need and I will check my can. J.R. Rose

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 6:39 am    

Mr Rose, I hope you are doing well. I think the little broken part in the last photo is what he needs. I think it is the little dog bone, barbell, whatever they’re called that connects the pull rod to the bellcrank. However it could be one of the swivel barrels that have a set screw in them that fastens a rod to a reverser, but I wouldn’t think that those would break like that. From what I’ve heard, every Carter owner oughta have a few spare dog bones!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 7:16 am    

Yes, I think it's the barrel nut with the set screw that locks the rod.

Here's a shot of a chicago screw that I drilled for such an application on some other guitar.

You can buy chicago screws, sex bolts, however they're called online and if you still have a decent hardware store in your town, perhaps there.

Carter takes a 3/16 in. part. Here's an Amazon link for 3/16 in. dia. x 1/2 length, but who needs 100 pcs. Still probably cheaper than ordering the original parts. Arrow clickhere You can probably buy lesser quantities as well there if you poke around a bit.

Drill the proper size hole for the rod at the proper place in the barrel and lock it down with the other half.

Looks Dashawn has found a temporary solution at least, but maybe for future fixes if you can't find or don't want to buy the original parts.