The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Double Duty Pedal Board
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:13 pm    

Double Duty Effects Board

Anybody using a single pedalboard for both steel and six string guitar? I’m envisioning using both channels of a fender but using a single pedalboard. Just curious how others may be accomplishing this. I don’t want to carry two amps or two pedalboards.

Eric OHara

Peru, NY, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 6:55 pm    

Hey Steve, check out Radial Engineering’s
website. They have solutions for all types of situations
and their stuff is top notch and built to last. EO
Beard Decophonic 57/ Fishman JD preamp
Goodrich 6122-R
Walrus Slotva Reverb, JHS Thunderbolt, ZVEX fuzz factory
Evans JE-200, RE-150
Peavey Nashville 112, 400
Keal Cases

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2019 7:04 pm    

I have done that, using my 6 string massive and heavy old SKB pedalboard -- long cords to the volume pedal so I could take it off the board and put it under my steel, & the board at a 90 degree angle to the steel. Takes up a lot of real estate on stage, though. I went into the same channel of a twin for both steel and 6 string.

I also used a radial a/b box backwards to switch inputs. More trouble than it's worth, though; easier just to back off the vp and switch a cord.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2019 4:38 pm    

Thanks guys for the reply. I was just curious as to how others do this. I made a switchbox (same box as a carbon copy) and put 6 1/4” jacks and one switch. Tele, steel, amp 1, amp 2, effects loop send and return. I’ll work on that this weekend.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2019 5:31 am    

Of course I am using the HX Stomp for amp emulation also, but there's no reason why you couldn't use it only for effects.

I use the left input for my steel (I do have a mutable buffer before it, so I can turn it off), and the right input for my lap steel / slide (it also has a mutable tuner before it, to turn it off).

You would be able to do any volume balancing, and associated effects. I'm not positive, but you may be able to write a patch to use the effects send as a 2nd output, but in my scenario, I am outputting to the same outputs.

You get 6 "blocks" of processing, and it doesn't take up much room on the board. Heck, all of my tuners take up more space.

Best of luck,

David Spires

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2019 2:57 am    

YES, I also use a Morley AB on the front end to switch Instruments.

there is no reason to not use TWO AB's. custom design what you need or desire. I generally don't use any effects other rvb and delay for Steel , but I could .

world famous Eric Johnson, you know, that cat from Austin TX, he uses 3 different amp setups on stage with one pedal board but various switching of the input to feed the different amps.

One AB puts everything thru the same effects train, TWO AB's allows for a different effects train. It just depends what you are seeking.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2019 7:15 pm    

I use one pedal board and one amp for both. I've never had trouble using both as long as I'm using my Matchbox or a Compressor to bring the steel to a volume comparable to my guitar. I also have a buffer at the front of my chain at all times, mostly for guitar. I don't know that it makes as much of a difference for steel.

I find that with the Matchbox my steel plays nice with all my effects, and I have a fairly spaced out board for guitar. I really love my steel through my ge Fuzz Face clone.

I've mostly done this out of necessity, and the fact that I don't want to carry more gear to gigs. I just can't lug my guitar and steel rig and use a second amp.