The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Restore a Sho~Bud volume pedal - who does that?
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 11:30 am    

I have an original Sho~Bud volume pedal (similar to that shown below) that needs to be buffed, polished, new pot, string assembly, etc

It’s not a complete mess, but needs to be restored and shined up!

Who does this type of work?

Thanks,
Tim

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2019 12:18 pm     Re: Restore a Sho~Bud volume pedal - who does that?

Tim Harr wrote:
Who does this type of work?

You can do it yourself if you wanna. A few dollops of Simichrome, some rags, a modicum of elbow grease, and a few hours time is all you need to shine the old aluminum to a mirror finish. A new string, a new potentiometer (I would recommend either the Dunlop or the Goodrich), and this tutorial should put you back in business:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=226820

I've restored three-four of 'em following the late Mr. Morehead's instructions, so it ain't rocket surgery.

Good luck, Tim!

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 6:33 am    

Tim, do you have a bench grinder? If you do, you can buy a buffing wheel and polishing compound at Harbor Freight. If not, you could probably take it to a shop that sells motorcycle parts. If they don't do it, they would know someone who does. Also,I have the equipment at home to do that.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 10:10 am     Sho Bud Pedal Restoration

I have one I'm about finished with if you want to make a deal.
Dale

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 4:28 am    

Jerry -

I have two volume pedals that I want to fully restore. I have the Sho~Bud pedal and also a Franklin volume pedal that belonged to Rich Mounce.

The Sho~Bud pedal needs the most attention. It is pretty scratched up and marred in a few places. It seems doable to buff a lot of this out and get it polished up. If hat is something you think that you could help me with, I would gladly pay you for your work.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Mike Terry

Galesburg Il
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 4:43 am    

Tim, Jeff Surratt at Show Pro steel guitars put new pots & polished up a couple of Sho Bud pedals for me. They look & work like they're brand new.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 2:42 pm    

One question about Sho-Bud pedals. I bought one recently and I was wondering if they’re supposed to cut completely off when lifted, or did the previous owner set the pot in that position to where there’s a little bleed? What is the stock setting for the pot?

Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 7:59 pm    

Ive buffed out almost every volume pedal I ever bought sho~buds and the older silver aluminum goodrich pedals
And had alot of them , its rewarding but its a lot of work sanding all the Nicks and scratches and gouges out of them then its wet sand 600 1000 1500 2000
Then put it on the bench buffer they look new when done
So its like a $200 labor of love and another $50 for a new pot and string ,
As for the volume pot , you can adjust it anyway you want a little bit on at top pedal or what ever ,
I personally make any alterations needed to have FULL on and FULL off volume pot ,
The only pedals i never had to mess with or buff out was a new hilton had that funny looking paint on it and a new telonics aluminum anodized with that cool blue LED Light, but like alot of people I tried everything twice and went back to passive volume pedals , currently using the old aluminum goodrich pedal buffed out as new with a new goodrich pot