The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Always, Patsy Cline: Berwick Maine 6/14-29
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2019 9:19 am    

I'll be playing the Always Patsy Cline show at Hackmatack Playhouse in Berwick, ME, June 14-15, 19-22, and 26-29. All shows 8pm (there are a couple of matinees, but they are sold out). Bruce Derr will be filling in for me on 6/26-27.

Rehearsals start Monday; I plan to muscle my into many more fills than indicated in the part. Very Happy

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2019 6:38 pm    

I did the Always Patsy play in Feb. Yes, there is not a lot of steel written in the score but so much of the Patsy material just cries out for more steel. On one ever complained about me playing parts that weren't written in the score. In fact they actually appreciated it. I'm excited for you for. Enjoy !!!!

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2019 1:32 am    

I must confess, those ridiculously high harmonics in True Love are giving me pause. Guess it's time to do some wood shedding on harmonics!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 3:51 pm    

I too have been and will be, playing more Patsy Shows in the fall. Sell outs and standing O's every night. People love her and her music. The only thing our show lacked was back ground voices, which would have really made it. I recommend lots of harmonics and just play as tasty as you can. I agree, her music could use a lot more steel but they were probably, intentionally trying to go more pop with that stuff. Another real Patsy thing was the tic-tac bass playing along with the upright bass to make it snap. Great fun. RP

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 4:00 pm    

Finished the three week run last Saturday and had a great time. I pretty much stuck to the part (harmonics where asked for). Bruce Derr filled in for me a couple of nights (previous engagement) and pointed out that the piano score is on line. Wow! Calls for vocal harmony all over the place that was not in anyone's part (except in "How Great Thou Art"). What's up with that?

The guitar player in our production was pretty weak (mostly just couldn't modulate from his standard rock style playing), but he got better as the run went on.

One thing that was unclear: it looks like the steel player is actually supposed to play acoustic at the beginning of "Sweet Dreams," and then switch back to steel as the transition to "She's Got You" comes up. Anybody do that when performing the show?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 12:21 pm    

That 'acoustic to steel' instruction is nonsense. I don't know why August put that in there. There's a guitar player in the band so no need for a few measures of rhythm guitar from the steel player!

Anyway, by the time you've got your picks off, then back on again, the moment has passed. I have done thirty five productions of the show and have never been asked to do that bit.

Smile