The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peter Dillingham, hanging in there at 89
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 11:49 am    

It made my day yesterday to reach Peter on the phone and hear that he's recovered adequately from a serious stroke of a couple years back, and tho his steel days may be over he is still upbeat about life and glad to know he's being thought of.
If you don't have this CD in your collection, you are missing out on some superbly played vintage Hawaiian music in the grand old style.
While not the biggest of names in the steel community, due to virtually no exposure, his talents are on high detail in this CD along with the classic voice of Bill Akamuhou. Peter was a spry 26 years old at the time, and full of steel talent. The guy was good, it rarely gets better than this!
Kudos to Keith Haugen for his interest and engineering to get this music out to the masses as it richly deserved.
Years ago, I fortuned upon a series of 40s era photos from possibly the/a studio session that produced these recordings, showing the quintet with their instruments, and have been favorites in my collection. I'll be sending them to Kailua-Kona so he and his wife can view them and reminisce, and hopefully get together a group of top talent friends to visit and play the music they love.
Here's a shot from Lorene Ruymer's book showing Peter at the old Kapiolani Park bandstand during a steel show. With him are Andy Cummings and who looks to be Buddy Hew Len tuning up behind him. Anyone know who's on rhythm guitar?

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 6:52 pm    

I heard of this guy, but haven't heard any of his playing. And I knew he was getting on in years. Not many left from that era.......

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 1:40 am    

Pete Dillingham issued a Limited Edition Volume II, CD released by Peter Pam Records in 1999. Some lovely voices in this CD, including Mihana Souza and many others, and the talents of Pierre Grill.

Kay

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 11:39 am    

Bill Creller wrote:
I heard of this guy, but haven't heard any of his playing. And I knew he was getting on in years. Not many left from that era.......
Bill, I hope you were able to access the music link for a bit of his style, the whole CD is great.
Vol. 2 is Peter on pedal steel and has it's fine moments as well, but I much prefer the older stuff.
Peter's life to this point has no doubt been an incredible and multifaceted tale, I hope he's completely detailed it somewhere for younger readers to appreciate, as should all who've been alive thru those interesting years.
Bill Stafford had the opportunity to help get Peter set up with pedals many years ago, and he recently passed along this tidbit that may help put things in better perspective for those not aware of the Dillingham legacy...
I remember introducing him to Jerry Byrd years ago. Neither knew about the other and I was surprised with that. Peter and his wife took me, my wife, Jerry and Kaleo out to a very nice Hawaiian Restaurant with the stream running through it and I thought-WOW! here I am going to the very best Hawaiian Club/Restaurant with the greatest steel guitar player in the world and my friend Peter D and his wife. I was in "high cotton" and was very surprised again when we arrived at the Restaurant. Everyone there acted like King Tut had arrived and I was thrilled. Then I found out that the big welcome was for Peter Dillingham. They were not aware of who Jerry Byrd was. Thought that was neat and then I really knew who Peter Dillingham was. Always knew he was well respected in Hawaii, but not that big until then. The strolling band came to our table and quit strolling. Kaleo got up and did a Hula dance for us and all in the area. Peter and Jerry became golfing buddies after that.

It was Peter's father that became a legendary figure during turn of the century Hawaii, and we've long had roads/buildings/etc. with the Dillingham name attached. But I'd say it's equally deserving of those accolades to be for Peter's steel playing! And he's a really nice guy, to boot.

Jeremy DeHart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 6:15 am    

Does anyone know where I can acquire some of Peter's recordings?

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 9:03 pm     Peter Dilllingham

Smile I have the CDs:
Peter Pam PPR3 Limited Edition Vol I- Peter Dillingham
Peter Pam PPR4 Limited Edition Vol II-Peter Dillingham

They are both for sale.

Wally