The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rondo SX 8 lap steel
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 8:46 am    

Anyone know where one of these can be ordered? It seems they are out of stock in the few places I've looked. If they are not currently being made is there anything in 8 strings (also similar price range) I could look into? Mainly looking for something in 8 strings I can try some tunings on.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 10:07 am    

Melbert lap steels are reasonable and I think far superior.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 10:14 am    

https://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*0c1421a8d614cc26

Doesn't seem to be in stock or production, you can email and ask them. Next possibility would be in the $400+ range but nicer playing, email Robert Allen of Melbert guitars, or Ryan Rukavina in Montana. Also keep checking classifieds here, ebay, reverb

Delbert Blackketter

Zanesville, OH
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 10:37 am     Rondo guitars used to sell through Guitar Center

Rondo guitars used to sell through Guitar Center.

Also, the Recording King is a good cheap alternative.

Delbert

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 11:13 am    

Not advertising directly on their site at least when you search through their front page (page still exists but says sold out), and Amazon doesn't have em...that's where I got mine. Just 6 strings it looks like.

It's a shame, its a great little guitar for the price. Once I swapped the pickup, it can hold its own with my other guitars easily. I'm playing in the FMaj7/G13 tuning on a song recently so I tuned it to that, to leave my Clinesmith in C13...sounded pretty good!

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 2:41 pm     Re: Rondo SX 8 lap steel

Daniel McKee wrote:
Anyone know where one of these can be ordered? It seems they are out of stock in the few places I've looked. If they are not currently being made is there anything in 8 strings (also similar price range) I could look into? Mainly looking for something in 8 strings I can try some tunings on.

Not Rogue, but not too expensive and brand new USA made
https://reverb.com/item/783741-morrell-joe-morrell-pro-series-8-string-lap-steel-guitar-vintage-brown-usa
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 3:33 pm    

I saw those too, when I was looking earlier...22.75" scale, compared to the 24+ scale of the SX...not necessarily a bad thing, shorter scales may be preferred for slants...and its better than the Morrell I have with a 20" scale...a true beginners instrument admittedly.

The pickup is mentioned to be a Kent Armstrong "Stinger 7"...it has covers which obscure whether it has discrete polepieces or some kind of rail configuration. But I'd wonder about string balance if it is a true 7 string pickup with individual polepieces. Even if it is set with the polepieces between each string, I'd think your top and bottom strings might be shortchanged (adjacent to only one polepiece).

But even so...just like with the SX guitar, could be a cheap/easy replacement of the pickup. My Morrell...well, I didn't care for the Kent Armstrong in it, so I chipped out the rout and put a very cheap PAF style in. Sounded incrementally better, if not great, and no hum...

Delbert Blackketter

Zanesville, OH
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 2:39 am     Elderly Instruments may have something for you

Elderly Instruments has a handful of lap steels right now, 6 and 8 string.

Delbert

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 12:59 pm    

thanks for the replies. I'll probably just keep looking. That Morrell is nice but I prefer longer scale. I already have 2 lap steels but if Rondo was still making the 8 I was gonna pick one up to experiment with since both of mine are 6 strings.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 2:36 pm    

If you have your heart set on a brand new Rondo-8, be patient. Somewhere you gotta believe someone is paying attention and monitoring demand, and once it's apparent there's enough inquiries, they'll run another batch of 'em. Hopefully in a country where there's yet to be any additional tariffs slapped on 'em.

Or else order a Melbert. You can have one built to your own specs (within reason). They're priced quite reasonably, especially considering they're virtually handmade in the USA. The guy who builds 'em speaks English. You will undoubtedly be happy with it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 3:17 pm    

If you would accept a used one, keep your eye peeled to places like reverb.com, ebay, musicgoround.com, and guitarcenter.com

I've seen used ones come up here and there at times.

I have a SX6 that I think is a better guitar than many more expensive ones. If you're patient, I believe you may be able to come up with one if that's what you really want.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 6:29 pm    

A Rondo is one of the cheapest import guitars sold - and not sold through Guitar Center (unless used - GC sells Rogue), only direct through Rondo Music. A few turn out OK and some are awful, like any other guitar type imported by the containerload.

You could take pretty much any plank with a decent tuners, replace the pickup and make the same thing. Don't waste your time looking for one. ANYTHING similar will work as well.

I suggest raising your sights a bit - look for something with good quality tuning machines, full-size pots (not the little, cheap 1/2" ones) and good hardware - the pickup is an easy switch.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 9:33 pm    

Daniel, if you're still looking, Rondo now has the SX listed @ reverb.com. Also at their home site here: Rondo

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 10:11 am    

I like mine a lot. Pickup is not great, but overall quality, including legs & a bag... it's a great deal. I had a replacement pup laying around that I used, but you can also raise the stock pup much closer to the strings.

Amazon has them....

https://www.amazon.com/LAP-3TS-String-Steel-Guitar/dp/B01MPXYJND/ref=asc_df_B01MPXYJND
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 11:25 am    

Hi Mike,
What are the dimensions of the stock PU on your SX-8 and is it recessed into a cavity? I'm wondering if it might be possible to replace it with an EMG-707TW-R active PU that needs a 3-1/2"L x 1-1/2"W x ~3/4" deep cavity. I could cut a new cavity if necessary.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 9:22 am    

Hi Jerry,
As you can see, I've modded mine quite a bit from the factory config (last pic) to have an onboard Tube Screamer Mini. I cut all the way through the pup cavity for a rear-access battery compartment. The EMG pup you mention looks very similar to the pup I used that came from my PSG. It basically sits on top of the body, straddling the pup cavity, and comes right up close to the strings. Will your EMG require a battery compartment? I'll see if I can get some measurements for you... may take a couple of days.

There's more discussion about all of this here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=350725

[img]

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 2:41 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Daniel, if you're still looking, Rondo now has the SX listed @ reverb.com. Also at their home site here: Rondo

The blonde 8 string is a particularly good deal currently...149 new:
https://reverb.com/item/980393-sx-lap-8-ash-na-8-string-lap-steel-guitar-w-stand-and-bag

I have no justification to warrant getting another one. But it's a lot of features for a low price. Biggest weakness is the electronics...as mentioned, swapping the pickup is a good start, I do think the vol/tone circuit could be improved as well, or maybe it has more to do with the pickup that I put in it...but its cheap enough to put a couple new pots in...

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 5:23 pm    

Thanks for the photos Mike! The EMG-707TW-R is the PU in Alan Akaka's guitar built by Asher. It mounts real close to the strings too; great tone & balanced volume across the strings. I put it in a prototype 7-string guitar I built last year. I'm real happy with it, and yes it does require a 9v battery.

Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 8:50 am    

I ordered one with the current sale I couldn't resist and the compact and light bag and legs making look attractive as a super portable little guitar. Maybe it will help make practice more accessible.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 10:34 am    

i dont like the headstock. there is way too much wood removed. it could be so much stronger and keep more energy in the string. if i had one of these, the first thing i would do is take a 1/4" piece of sheet aluminum and trace the headstock and 6 inches or so up the bottom of the neck on to it...cut it out and smooth the edges and screw it to the bottom of the headstock and neck. i guarantee you it would make the sustain increase and the tuning more stable. the thin bridge would also be a candidate for replacing with a thicker one. easily made with heavier angle aluminum.

im not too picky about the single coil p90 looking pickup. it might have some nice twang in it. its a timeless simple design used on many instruments.

at $149 with case and legs...thats a bargain. if a guy could run across a couple of used ones say a hundred each, you could cut the bottom bout on one and the top bout on another.....glue em up and have a cool D8. the leg sockets might still work with the front one remaining and the two side ones on the other neck.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 3:31 am    

In regards to the Morrell 8 string pickup. It does leave the outside string weak. I tried shifting to get a balance but it's not a fix. I've since got a 8 string pickup from a forum member and have yet to install it. The string spaces are a bit tight as well. It's playable, but not great without mods. I ended up with a Dillion 8 string and it's a very nice instrument.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 3:44 pm     SX lap steel

if anybody's looking

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/SX/LAP-STEEL-Lap-Steel.gc?rNtt=used%20lap%20steel&index=26

Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 12:07 am    

I ordered the SX 8 last fall when they were available. Once I tightened all 8 peg nuts and one loose key, all I had to do was to change the rusty/corroded strings. Easy enough to fix and I think I got my money's worth.