The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics TC500c Auxiliary Input
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 9:18 am    

Anyone using the Aux input on a Telonics TC500c for another instrument input?

Jeff Triplett

Virginia Beach, VA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 10:22 am    

I ran a keyboard into it once when I had an expected kb amp failure. It got me through the evening but not something I would do on a regular basis.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 11:04 am    

I tried it with a banjo. Not so great since the output EQ is of course what was set up for steel.. Not practical for a quick switchover in a live environment.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 8:09 am    

According to the manual you can use it as an input from a guitar processor (pod or similar) to be able to use guitar and steel at the same time. I would ask Dave Beatty to be sure, but it’s not designed to plug a regular 1/4” instrument cable into it.

I have only used it to play my backing tracks through it while practicing with headphones so I’m just referring to the manual, which is one of the clearest I’ve ever seen.

Telonics is the best.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 6:01 am    

Believe that AUX input is for something like a tape deck. My first comments with a fiddle were regarding the Input 2, sorry.

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 11:14 am     AUX Input on Telonics TCA500 series Amplifiers

The AUX input is a TRS (stereo) input designed to sum the two input channels of a LINE LEVEL signal together for the purpose of playing stereo backing tracks or other program material through the amplifier (which is monaural) - either for practicing, singles gigs, or for recording the combined audio using the XLR Direct Output jack on the rear panel.

You can certainly run any mono or stereo signal into the AUX output, however you need to be aware that the AUX channel does not go through the high gain preamp, and it BYPASSES the entire tone stack/section.
It's frequency response is perfectly FLAT. It is not EQ'd in any way, or "set up for steel guitar", etc.
It also bypasses the PRE EQ Insert and the Parallel Effects Loop.

The suggestion that you might use it as an input for a processor is a good one, you simply need your external device to have all the gain (LINE level out), EQ and effects you want. The AUX input will route the resultant audio signal to the TCA500's power amp with no coloring or voicing.

Of course these comments pertain to the TCA500 series amplifiers, which are monaural. They do NOT apply to other Telonics products which are for stereo work, as PRE1000 preamps, etc., which carry both stereo channels from the AUX, through the system for use with stereo amplifiers.

Hope that helps.

Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 12:48 pm    

Just adding to Dave’s comments - I’ve used the TCA- 500 for guitar and steel for a while. The steel I run through the normal input, allowing it to be EQ’d and have effects applied using the Dry/Wet Fader as normal. The guitar I run through an effects processor and feed that into the Aux Input.

A few things to note using the Aux Input for guitar:
Being a mono system, you’ll need to use the effects processor in mono output mode (i.e. just one jack plugged into your effects processor output), but to optimise the gain into the combo you’ll need the signal applied to both the tip and ring of a TRS stereo jack that’s plugged into the combo Aux input - in other words, you’ll need a custom lead made up. i.e. a mono jack to stereo right-angle jack lead, with the tip of the mono jack connected to the tip and ring of the stereo jack.

As Dave said, this input has a flat response, so for guitar in addition to effects like compression, overdrive, delay etc. you’ll need some tone shaping. My experience is, the normal pedal board amplifier Tone shaping pedals like the Tech 21 Blonde don’t generate an output that’s quite high enough to drive the Aux input at its optimum level. Effects processors are usually capable of generating higher outputs - The Line 6 HX Effects processor I’m using has plenty of output. The combo Aux input Level control can be used to balance your steel and guitar volume.

The neat thing about this setup is both the steel and guitar are fed to the XLR modelled output, that can be fed to the PA for a little extra volume and dispersion of the higher frequencies.

Hope this info is useful.