The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with my YouTube Channel
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 1:05 pm    

So for you computer geeks out there.

I need some help.

YouTube has changed it's policy about paying for view time and are slamming me with "copyright". They are not removing my videos, but took the $$ away and insert their ads.

They send me emails saying that I can still make a buck or two, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to go about the new monetization thing.

Any help will be appreciated.

I have plenty of subscribers and PLENTY of view time.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 30 May 2019 9:26 am    

A link to your YouTube channel Bill, may aid all of us in giving you a hand with this.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 12:50 pm    

Bill,
If I can help, I would be happy to do so. I did some looking at the new rules and found this blurb which may pertain to your videos, or at least in their view it does.

"I use my personal recording of public concerts, events, shows, etc.
Although you may have recorded something yourself, usually the original creator or author of the underlying content being recorded (e.g. composer/lyricist of the song being performed at a concert) holds many of the rights needed to commercially exploit this content.

If you want to monetize your recording of a performance at a concert or show, you would have to get explicit written permission from the original rights owner of that performance."

If they are slamming you with copyright, it may be due to the above section in their new rules. Do you have written permission from every performer that will allow you to get around their "copyright" claim?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 1:28 pm    

When I first got permission to post these videos, many years ago, I actually did have written email permission from every player that I posted.

Hence, the reason you don't see a few of the major steelers on my videos. They would not give me permission.

I have since then had a major computer crash in 2016 and all those are gone. I was with aol at the time and cannot retrive those emails.

As far as a link to my channel, heck I thought everyone on the forum watched my videos. Very Happy Very Happy They are in fact, all steel guitar.

www.youtube.com/steelpicker
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 31 May 2019 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 1:34 am    

1976?

Tim Sheinman

Brighton, UK
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 4:44 am    

Punch-card system. Could play a mean tic-tac-toe as well.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 5:35 am    

yall are funny

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 31 May 2019 7:25 am    

Bill, thanks for the link.

I have come across most of those in the past, I just didn't put the channel and you together.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 7:58 am    

Bill, I don't know anything about recent changes, but when I became a YouTube Partner last September, YouTube approved my channel for "revenue sharing". 16 of my 33 videos are flagged "Includes copyrighted content". Those videos are covers of popular songs. Not a problem... in fact, it's a blessing! YouTube puts ads on those videos and the ad money is split between the publisher, YouTube, and me. It's very smooth. YouTube handles everything.

The monetization process is long and a bit confusing. Approval takes several steps. They need to verify your details, your tax info, and set up direct deposit with your bank, etc. At each step, when you submit your information you won't hear back from them for a few weeks or even months. They are swamped with applicants. And there is no way to speak with anyone about it. You have to keep checking your Account monetization status and your Gmail to see how the monetization process is progressing. It's also a good idea to search the YT help forum to see what other applicants are saying about it.

Your situation might be more difficult because your videos have performances of several songs. In any event, YT does all the work. They contact the publishers and set up the licensing arrangements, etc.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 8:33 am    

Thanks for the reply. I have been set up for a year for monetizing and got paid, but then they stopped it. So I don't know what to do

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 9:17 am    

It's possible that they are contacting publishers to set up the licensing arrangements and eventually some of your videos will be approved... on the other hand, the multiple songs in each video might be too much to deal with and they may not allow monetization on those videos. Or they may eventually not allow those videos at all. I don't know. I would email them and ask what's going on. You might get an answer, although I never got a personal answer to my emails. Best of luck with it.