The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice
Kelesha Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2019 2:15 pm    

I bought a Parlor Conversion Steel Guitar because I am writing a song that some would say is Hawaiian. I do not have the ability to play in C6 which is traditional Hawaiian.

My guitar conversion is for Open D and Open G. I play the piano and I believe the song is in D Major on the piano. I am a beginning lap steel guitar player. I bought a DVD of someone playing in Open D.It is more Intermediate Level. I do have an inexpensive acoustic guitar that I learned a few notes on in the last few months as a Substitute Music Teacher.

I had a year of Music Theory in college.

I still communicate with the person who sold me the guitar conversion. They answer specific questions I have.

Where should I start with the Lap Steel Guitar if I am relying on free videos to teach myself only what I need so an experienced guitar player can write the tablature for my song later. (I am a lefty)

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 2:48 pm    

It sounds like you plan on working with an acoustic lap steel, in which case Dobro tuning would make a lot of sense.

From low to high (closest to your body to furthest away)
GBDGBD

Once you have your guitar tuned, look for lessons online. Just be sure to look for videos that use the same tuning.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 3:19 pm    

Along with Allan's advise, I'd add, regular string sets are not made to tune up to GBDGBD. Look at changing your strings to an appropriate set. At your local store they will be labeled as "resonator" or some such. They are easy to find. The package will mention if they are for GBDGBD.

Also, the open D maj can be tuned to another version of G tuning. If your guitar is DADF#AD then change it to DGDGBD, this is a normal tuning to go to along with the D tuning. A lot of players use the D major and Low G tuning on one guitar.

The GBDGBD is a very high tension tuning, and is called "high G" and the DGDGBD is called "low G" because it has much lower tension on the strings.

It might be good for you, though there are fewer books on teaching you how to use it. GBDGBD is a VERY common tuning. But, intervals are intervals, if you can understand whats being taught, you can work around any differences in your tuning to conform to what you are being shown. Mostly, just play in tune and make sounds that please you. It takes time. You've come to the right place!!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Vernon N. Holt

Battlefield, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 8:24 pm     Tablature

A good investment for any song writer is a program titled: TablEdit. You can enter melody and chords in regular notation and the program will generate tablature automatically. It will also playback your magnum opus. A FREE Demo version can be downloaded from www.tabledit.com.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 6:34 pm    

I think everyone missed the fact you are a LEFTY!

You will have to reverse not only the tuning, but think the tab in reverse AND have the guitar set up properly for left handed playing - you can't just put the strings on in reverse order - the nut slots will all be the wrong size!

You need a tech to assist with the guitar setup and IMO a teacher. I have had lefty players come to me after trying to learn on their own in total frustration.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional