The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavy Transtube Amp
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 1:03 pm    

Just posted under amp for sale.I have a chance to purchase a Peavey 112 transtube w/ sheffield speaker,would this be good for pedal steel??
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 1:08 pm    

It's a guitar amp Carl. While it may suffice as a secondary amp, the circuitry and speaker are designed for guitar.

I'm familiar with the amp and the speaker. It would not be one I would choose for steel personally. I see players here talking about using guitar amps for steel all the time however.

You may or may not be satisfied with it. Bear in mind that it is not one of the amplifiers that Peavey designed for steel guitar.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 3:24 pm    

I saw your other post concerning this Carl. I did not know you are a beginner. I probably should not have discouraged you about the TransTube 112. If you are just starting out and are not going to be playing out, the amp might work OK for learning and practice until such time as you can acquire a proper steel amp.

As long as it has a moderate power output of say, 75 w or so, it may work fine in the bedroom. It's just that the design is around standard guitar.

I don't know of any bona fide steel amp that is less expensive than the Peavey line however.

Perhaps some other players have better suggestion. Cheers and good luck! JO.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 3:54 pm     Amp

Thanks for your imput,much appreciated.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 4:21 pm     transtube bandit

I have been using one of these for E9 pedal steel for a long time. Works great for rehearsal and small gigs. Can add a cabinet to move more air if needed.