The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud LDG Pedal Travel Adjustment Question
Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 1:14 pm    

I would like to reduce the travel on my A pedal so that it is a bit more responsive. If I simply adjust the stop screw to reduce the distance the pedal has to has to pull, what other adjustments should I expect to have to make?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 1:53 pm    

Which LDG Mechanism do you have?? There were 6 different mechanism changes throughout the LDG time> 1973-1980
ricky

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 3:59 pm    

It’s mid-70s, 2 hole puller with 2 raises and 1 lower.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 4:26 pm    

For maximum string pull with minimum pedal movement, these are the positions for the adjustable components.

The first picture shows an example of the hole selection. I know that the arrow is not pointing at the 5th string. This is just for illustration.
I do not, offhand, know the optimal changer hole selection for the C pedal, 5th string, in order to synchronize it with the 4th string raise. Be aware that if 4 & 5 currently work well together with good timing on the C pedal, you may not want to change rodding assignments on the 5th string that might mess that up.

Last edited by Jon Light on 25 May 2019 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 6:18 am    

Yes, Just what my bro Jon Light presented....awesome.
Ricky

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 8:49 am    

Thanks guys. I already have my pedal rod on the first hole. But if I move the brass round thing to the top hole on the bell crank the pull rod will interfere with another one down the line. Just want to make sure that what I’m hearing is that I shouldn’t really be playing with the stop screw at this time. Or is that still an option?

Right now the feel / tension is good, it’s just the travel that I want to reduce.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 11:30 am    

Yes if you wanna reduce the pedal travel as much as possible with that mechanism and the normal Hole closest to top of guitar and brass roller in normal raise position... Here's a few things to try and manipulate that will make the string move faster and in essence travel smaller to get to the C# note.
Use a .018p.
Make sure there is a raise spring on that finger.
if you are not lowering that 5th string; tighten the return lower spring all the way up with the phillips screw at endplate...if you don't have a adjustable lower return spring...unhook it and cut a wind off and bend that out to make a new hook on...and rehook> now you have a MORE FIRM lower section that will let the raise section move even faster/better.
you can use that hole closer to the axle of the crossbar; Jon pointed out....that will add tension and will help in moving the pull a little faster....but try the other stuff first.
Now tune the open B note; Now turn the nylon tuner to where it feels like it is starting to pull the finger; so it's snug; but not pulling the B note. Now push the A pedal down and you will have a C# note hopefully way too sharp and now screw in the "STOP" screw for that pedal crossbar underneath to where it is now stopping at the C# note you want.....then check the open B and if it's still at B and pedal down C#...that is the shortest throw you are gunna get; without those major alterations....and if you still want a shorter throw.....go by a new modern pedal steel; that will do all that perfect adjustments you want; but of course it will NEVER sound like this Sho~bud....and besides; you need to feel some travel in that pedal for the half pedal augmented chord....ha....geeeeeze...Ok have fun.
Ricky

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 4:33 pm    

Thanks guys, I’ll give it a try.