The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who's on the steel
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 4:08 am    

Anyone know who's playing on this? I think it sounds like Buddy Charleton.

https://youtu.be/eYObbeOCcb0?list=PLDIG6OVJm7ZBTM1ljseRPcRY72EPflsAz

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 7:02 am    

I always thought it sounded like Hal Rugg...

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 7:26 am    

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 10:28 am    

Not too easy! I would go for Hal also...

Kind Regards, Walter

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 12:44 pm    

I do not what year that one was cut, but it sounds like Dicky Overbey to me.

Don Euton

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2019 4:28 pm    

Deja vous?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2745268&sid=f6ed5b54821ebd77000605dde36d6055

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 1:16 am    

You're right Donny - I guess I'm not the only one this one puzzled. I guess I'll have to go with the votes for Hal - now that I listen to it, it does seem to be his tone. The Jimmy Day lick that Paul referred to on the other post, is what made me think it was Buddy C - he was always doing stuff like that

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 6:18 am    

Here's another cut featuring Buddy that has a similar feel. At the end of the ride, it sounds almost like he's going for the same sound. But Steve certainly knew both of these guys back then, so I'll go along with his call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRIq6mTx08o

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 8:20 am    

Quote:
Deja vous?

Indeed. So entertaining!

Franklin

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2019 9:56 pm    

The steel guitar sound on the Louvin and Ernest sessions is no doubt Sho-Bud guitars. But the tone of the playing between the Ernest example and the Louvin recording is totally different...That indicates these two tracks are played by different players....Also the player on the Louvin session is more studio savvy, meaning his volume pedal work and volume is consistent throughout the track. Listen to that player when he does the Jimmy Day lick. His volume is perfectly balanced and consistently level throughout.. Thats hard to do because the entire move is picked once at the top and the rest is an all sustaining lick...That's a studio players skills, not a road players...To gain control of those kinds of skills usually requires spending a lot of time doing session work. Hal was doing a lot of sessions in those years while Buddy C was on the road more than he was in Nashville...ET worked anywhere from 250 to 300 dates a year.....I don't care who you are coming into the studio requires a different skill set..When I got off the road with Dire Straits it took me a few weeks of solid studio work to get those skills back.....I am no longer guessing after hearing the Ernest cut.....That is Hal's tone on Louvins cut and its clearly different than Buddy C's tone and volume pedal work on the Ernest cut....And it also lowers the E's to Eb and it couldn't be Day because he did not have that lever change....

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 12:47 am    

The steel part starting at 2:38, with the descending scale toward the end of the 4 chord, is what had me thinking it was Buddy - he was always doing that descending scale thing. Paul's assessment of studio verses road techniques is not something I would have thought of - good call.

Paul, I know this is not the place, but I spent about an hour listening to your work on Vince's "Buttermilk John" last night - that is some of the most astoundingly soulful playing I have ever heard. Your ability to do the "Paul Franklin" thing, while at the same time capturing the essence of Hughey in the tone and articulation just knocks me out - Hats off sir!

Franklin

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 4:54 am    

Thank you Bobby, John was a dear friend! Buddy C never pursued the studio career...I believe he could have done well just like Hal, Weldon, Lloyd, and Pete did.....Its great that a few artists sought him out when they could get him which was hard because Ernest was gone most of the time.
PF

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 3:10 pm    

Well Paul, there are those of us who like the studio, and who like the road. I never could stand the studio myself, and always thought my efforts in one were substandard - in a live setting, that's were I flourished. Then, there are those of us who excel at both, like yourself haha! I laugh because it's a rarity, in my opinion.