The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12 string non extended E9 copedents
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 11:44 am    

I ended up with a nice MSA extended E9 12 string. It’s my first PSG.

I’m wondering now if I will ever use the bottom two strings. Just wondering, are there any copendents that make use of the bottom two strings to offer some middle voices that are otherwise missed? Or add something to the top?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 8:06 pm     12 string non extended E9 copendemts

Everything I have read or heard on 12 string steels is you can use E9th extended, C6 extended or Universal tunings.
I play at a GFI S 12 Universal (Jeff Newman tuning). There is a use for all strings from 3 to 11 except the 7th in E9th mode. It only use for string 12 is in the B6 tuning on the Newman tuning.
Open you get G#-E-B on strings 3-4-5. E-B-G# on strings 4-5-6. B-G#-E on strings 5-6-8, E-B-G# on strings 8-9-10 and B-G#-E on strings 9-10-11. By using 2 or 3 finger grips it gives you some neat sounds in different octives. I am still finding licks and voicings on the U 12 and not really got to work on the B6 change. Whole lot of new ground to play in.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 9:03 pm     Stick with the ordinary approach...

Being's you're a beginner at this, I would suggest that you stick with the conventional/accepted tumings and setups, rather than trying to do something out-of-the-box, early on. This will assure that you have the most resources available to help you get started. After you get the basics down and get semi-proficient, you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to do something unique like going with a double re-entrant tuning.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 5:36 am     Re: 12 string non extended E9 copendemts

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
Everything I have read or heard on 12 string steels is you can use E9th extended, C6 extended or Universal tunings.
I play at a GFI S 12 Universal (Jeff Newman tuning). There is a use for all strings from 3 to 11 except the 7th in E9th mode. It only use for string 12 is in the B6 tuning on the Newman tuning.
Open you get G#-E-B on strings 3-4-5. E-B-G# on strings 4-5-6. B-G#-E on strings 5-6-8, E-B-G# on strings 8-9-10 and B-G#-E on strings 9-10-11. By using 2 or 3 finger grips it gives you some neat sounds in different octives. I am still finding licks and voicings on the U 12 and not really got to work on the B6 change. Whole lot of new ground to play in.

The 7th string is very useful, in the E9 mode. It is a scale tone in the E scale. If you only think in chords, like your examples, then it's not as useful as the scale tone, but then again, it gets used in several chords.

String 12 (B) is very useful in the E9 mode.

EDIT: I originally said it was a scale tone in the D scale by mistake, but as Dave brought up below, it is also a scale tone in the D scale. It's uses are many.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 24 May 2019 5:04 am; edited 2 times in total

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 5:43 am     Re: Stick with the ordinary approach...

Donny Hinson wrote:
Being's you're a beginner at this, I would suggest that you stick with the conventional/accepted tumings and setups, rather than trying to do something out-of-the-box, early on. This will assure that you have the most resources available to help you get started. After you get the basics down and get semi-proficient, you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to do something unique like going with a double re-entrant tuning.

Point taken.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 6:56 am    

Also, Paul, if your guitar is extended E9 that implies it has only 3 or 4 pedals, so talk of universal tunings is probably not relevant.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 6:58 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Also, Paul, if your guitar is extended E9 that implies it has only 3 or 4 pedals, so talk of universal tunings is probably not relevant.

Yes I’m not talking about universal tunings. I am interested in what the double reentrant E9 tuning would look like.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:03 am     Re: 12 string non extended E9 copedents

Paul McEvoy wrote:
some middle voices that are otherwise missed?

Here's something I tried for a while that offers a lot of possibilites:

Tab:

A    B
F#
D#
G# ....... A         
E
C# .. D
B  .. C#
A  ....... A#
G# ....... A
F#
E
D
B  .. C#

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:10 am     Re: 12 string non extended E9 copedents

Paul McEvoy wrote:
I ended up with a nice MSA extended E9 12 string. It’s my first PSG.

I’m wondering now if I will ever use the bottom two strings. Just wondering, are there any copendents that make use of the bottom two strings to offer some middle voices that are otherwise missed? Or add something to the top?

I don’t play a 12 string E9x, but having the low roots for chords on strings 11 (A+B pedals) and 12 (open) seems like a major advantage and very useful.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:35 am    

I sure would like an E on that 12th string. Very Happy
Erv

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:40 am    

What do you have on it, Erv?

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 9:12 am    

After having my first PSG for a while, I thought I wanted an extended E9. I think it was because when I was at the beginning stages of learning, it was a lot of me playing PSG alone - without other instruments or backing tracks. The result was that I thought I wanted a fuller range of sound - because I felt like I had to cover the full range myself.

Once I played more with other instrumentation, I had to come to terms with the fact that I would rarely even touch the bottom 2 or 3 strings of the E9 10-string copedent. I was actually pretty stubborn about it and it took a while for me to not force those strings into my playing. Now I can only foresee wanting extended E9 if I'm going to be playing with little or no other instrumentation and need to cover the full range of sound in a song. I wouldn't let it bug you if you can't find a use for the bottom strings.

Aside from that, I agree with Donny and would add that you should temporarily forget about the breadth of technical possibilities of the instrument and should instead focus right now on sounding good and falling in love with the sound. Most pedal steel players are drawn to the instrument because of its complexity, so I know me saying that is a buzzkill.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 10:16 am    

For various reasons, I've sort of settled on 12-string universal for my 12-strings. But I've had a couple of Ext E9 guitars and really liked them. I may yet get another at some point.

Earnest's setup looks very interesting, but just starting out, I concur with Donny's recommendation to stick with an established E9 setup, extended or not. All standard instructional materials are equally as relevant on Ext E9 as standard E9, and it really is a brilliant tuning with enormous possibilities. It really is not hard to just avoid the bottom two strings, especially if you start out with Ext E9 and don't get used to the 10-string version. But I find they come in handy at times, not just playing solo but in a band context.

I completely disagree that the 7th F# note is not useful in E9 "mode", either Ext E9 or universal. Aside from the obvious uses as the 2nd degree of the Emaj scale with pedals up and root of 2m chord with pedal B+C, it is even more useful with with A+B down. First, it's the 6th of the all-important A6 chord that this tuning becomes, and as Richard notes, it is the 3rd degree of the Dmaj scale starting at string 9, and with strings 9, 7, 6, 5, 4 gives a nice Dmaj9 chord (lose string 4 for maj7). With universal, that D note is missing but most setups get it with a lever. And combining this with the E=>Eb lever and A/B pedals gives some very nice moves.

Some aspects of the overal E9 setup are a bit subtle and may not smack you in the face initially. I mean, it takes a while to learn to make a pedal steel sound decent and in-tune moving up and down the neck and with the A, B, C pedals and the basic moves with the E and F levers. But I would not lose what some perceive as the "pesky" non-major-chordal strings like 7=F# and 9=D. It does require some concentrated practice to avoid sounding them when you don't want them. But the more you play, the more you'll realize that one of the critical skills in playing any type of steel guitar (with or without pedals) is being able to precisely control which strings you're picking. And of course, blocking is tricky but critical for playing any type of steel guitar.

So I wouldn't add any impediments to getting the basics down. In any reasonably complete Ext E9 steel, you should have enough to keep you going for years.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 4:51 am    

The W is the infamous wrist lever.

Note that I drop the low B string to A on the A pedal.

This classical piece was played almost entirely extra bass strings. This arrangement cannot be played on even an extended E9. It requires that low B string and the drop to A.

https://pedalsteelmusic.com/?p=502

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 5:11 am    

Even if you don't have such a complex setup as Mike's (which is similar to mine in many ways), if you do have a low B on one of the bottom strings it's better to drop it to A than raise it to C# on the A pedal. You might want to raise it on the F lever if it doesn't make it too stiff.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 7:35 am    

I drop everything a whole step and play extended D9...does that count as a non-extended E9 tuning Smile

Seriously though, I don't play in a band but do solo arrangements and use the 2 low strings somewhere in just about every piece. It's a great way to get a full sound Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 6:44 pm     Leave E9th as it is.

Just leave the 10 string E9th as IT IS and put a G# on string 11 and an E on string 12..raise string 11 to an A with pedal 2.