The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lexicon MX200 Help Please
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 6:07 am    

I purchased the MX200 from Telonics with the presets and I’m struggling to find the Delay/Reverb sound I’m searching for. Admittedly I’ve had very little time to work with it and I won’t have allot more so I’m hoping someone can help me. I only purchased it because I had an extra space in my rack. Otherwise I was happy with my 2 Boss pedals. Below I’m providing a shot of the Boss Delay settings and want to mimick that as close as possible. Ive tried doing these via the Digital delay on the Lexicon and routing the delay/reverb just like my pedals and can’t get what I want. I can get the Reverb I want but not the Delay. Maybe I should try another Delay setting??

I hope someone can help me. Otherwise I’ll sell it at a good deal just because I’m considering myself a novice on rack units.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 20 May 2019 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 6:11 am    

I typically use setting 50 on the Telonics programmed Lexicon unit.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 7:59 am    

Marty, I'm sure you will have done, but check the routing is serial not parallel. Apart from that it's a complex beast that requires time.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 20 May 2019 8:10 am    

Thanks Ian! I may have forgotten that detail.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 10:05 am    

Marty, I used one several years ago and long story short I just got another one now I have to relearn it. Read the manual and the presets it has built in and try out the best possibilities. What I liked about it, you can tweek the presets to your liking and save them in the user presets pretty easily. Plus it’s easy to tweek or adjust on the fly because it has real knobs and you don’t have to save it. My Lexicon MX1 is hard for me to mess with but luckily I had some presets installed that are pretty good.
How ya been doing? Still with Tracy Byrd?

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 21 May 2019 11:07 am    

Thank you Larry. I’m hoping to have a few hours to work with it next Saturday before our show that night. Yes, still with Tracy; burning the candle from both ends working a day job and his shows. Adding up frequent flyer miles...Lol

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 3:13 pm    

Larry's tip is good one - you can mess with any program but you don't have to save it if you regret it!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 3:39 pm    

Are you using the Telonics manual or the lexicon manual ?

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 21 May 2019 5:11 pm    

Steve, I have the Lexicon user guide and the Telonics preset list along with a CD.
Any coaching is appreciated.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 12:31 pm    

This unit can be connected to a computer to tweak using MX Edit software, not having a screen like some of the big brothers, an MPX500.

Not sure of what OS it would need though so YMMV to that end.

It has a USB-out that functions like MIDI but you still have to connect the rack unit to an amp to hear it external to a computer. It won't play audio through the USB.

But yeah, it's a pain to have to go through a user manual.

Check out the "Quick Start" section:
http://tpa-az.com/downloads/mx200manual_b.pdf

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 3:06 pm    

I was able to get by with the Telonics preset guide, but ended up swapping it out for the TC unit Telonics uses. I prefer it.

I found Telonics really helpful, you might reach out to them, and get some direction. Someone programmed those presets . Maybe Dave could hook you up with whoever programmed them, if the stock settings don’t do it for you ?

Used, these things are priced at less than some pedals. For me, the presets work. You may have a more particular sound your looking for.

Hope that helps. Let us know what works for you.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 3:35 pm    

Marty, what rig are you are you trying to use it with?

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 22 May 2019 5:27 pm    

Steve, thank you for your most recent feedback.

Larry,
that’s a great question! I’m just using a Stereo Steel preamp with it and utilizing the Left XLR output of the Preamp to send to the engineer. We use in-ear monitors in Mono mode. I was running a Boss Digital Delay Pedal into a Boss Digital Reverb Pedal and plugging into the 1/4” input on the Preamp then out via the Left XLR output.

Each evening I have been studying the Lexicon User Guide and the Telonics Preset Parameters along with cable routing and I’m hopeful that I can now tweek it to my tastes....and maybe adding some other cool stuff. If I’m not successful I may look into a different processor and/or ask Dave for some help. I’m hoping to have plenty of time next week to work with it.

Lesson learned:
Duh, read all the literature before plugging it in and taking everything for granted.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 6:22 am    

Marty, don't know how much this will help but I did some experimenting with one. I took the Telonics settings, downloaded them, them tweaked to what I wanted.

I got my hands on a Lexicon MX200 effects rack unit and have been experimenting with it the last several days. Changing programs adding programs, trying the Telonics’ programs.

So far I’m impressed with it.

Click

Click

Click

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 23 May 2019 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:04 am    

Ron,
Sounds great! Like I stated earlier, I should have prepared to use it by reading all of the literature. I wish I had it at home so I could work with it but I should be even more prepared by next weekend when I have access to it and the time to tweek it.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:22 am    

Marty,
Once I got the unit, I had Telonics send me the download. I hooked it up to my computer after loading their program and all went very smooth.

I then sat with it for hours, taking notes and picking the basic programs that I thought I liked. Then tweaked each one I chose and saved them. Many more on there then you'll ever use.

Ron

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 23 May 2019 7:25 am    

Thank you for the info Ron.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2019 4:51 pm    

G D Walker told me the Lexicon was quite intimidating. That is why I use either a Peavey Pro-fex or a Boss DD 3 delay, Marty.