The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Legrande111 vs. Legrande
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 5:55 am    

Or 'to counterforce or not'.

Some months ago my friend Junior Mercer went through my LG111 for me, changing some pulls and adjusting others. My biggest complaint was that my guitar seemed to have become stiffer and heavier to play with comfort.

I had even considered changing guitars to something known for a light action but Junior suggested disengaging the counterforce unit and the result was instantaneous and dramatic. At last I had the pedal-action I wanted.

There has been no downside to this. My guitar played 'in tune' before and, since the change, it's still in tune. Cabinet drop is minimal and certainly no worse.

I mention this now because, just the other day, the counterforce adjuster (don't know what else to call it - a piece of rod with a spring and threaded bits!) fell in my lap as I played! Nothing scary resulted - I just kept playing.

I do now find myself questioning my decision to spend $280 on this device when I ordered my new guitar in 2000.

Any thoughts?

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 6:34 am    

Well, the counterforce unit is on there in case you ever decide to sell it and someone wants the III model Roger. So it's not a total loss for you. The only complaint I have with them is that the pickups you can put in that particular guitar is limited because of the reduced distance between the counterforce top and strings.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 6:39 am    

True, Dave. I was only half serious about the $280 - it's long gone now and the guitar has paid me back a hundred times.

It won't be for sale in my lifetime but of course I'll keep the part safe for a subsequent owner.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 3:17 pm    

I think it has been set up weird. My LeGrande III steels play fine.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 5:06 pm    

I'd heard about the counterforce making the pedals stiff on E9 and was a little worried about it before I got my LL3, but it hasn't given me any problem at all.

I do hear mixed reviews though... Buddy Emmons seemed quite happy with it, whereas Buddy Charleton had his removed almost immediately from what I'm told.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 7:08 pm    

I like my LeGrande III very much and it feels about the same as my LL II. If you don’t want it you can back it off at each cross shaft it is connected to, no need to remove it.
Jerry

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 2:01 am    

Jerry

I didn't remove it - it fell off.

I think that, when it was disengaged, it may have been backed off too far to the point where it was hanging in place (literally) by a thread.

I'm working now and the guitar is on stage. When I pack my gear on Friday night I'll try and spot where it used to be located.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:00 am     Iii

A III set up properly should change the pedal action very slightly, not enough to make a real difference

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:31 am    

Roger, it can’t fall off as a result of being adjusted completely inactive. A retainer clip must have came off (C clip or E clip) or the leverage arm pivot pin came out. I keep watch on that pin right behind the pickup. The leverage is 20 to 1 on the counterforce so you should not notice the difference in the pedal if it is not over-adjusted. However, if you don’t like the counterforce you can loosen the set collars that activate it at each connected cross shaft and move them back to a point that they are inactive. No Need to remove anything.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:40 am    

Understood, Jerry - thanks. I will look underneath after this gig's finished. I will also check the stage for stray clips!

I can only assume that someone (it's been in the hands of a few 'techs' over the years) adjusted the counterforce poorly resulting in a heaviness to the pedal action. I don't know if that is logical or not but, when Junior recently disengaged it, I felt an instant improvement.

Cabinet-drop is not an issue; I can 'play' the guitar in tune.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 9:33 pm    

I had a conversation with Billy Knowles today about the LLG III that I recently purchased from him. He said that the pedals were set according to Emmons factory spec’s but that you could adjust the travel on the pedals for a lighter feel without affecting how the counterforce functions. So apparently the CF is set independently. So I’m going to give it a go in the next couple of weeks and see what happens. Right now, my ‘70 push pull plays far easier so I’m going to use those pedal throws as a target.

Skeeter