The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Art Vanne Damme and his accordion ! My fav-other fans ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 3:24 pm    

I know accordion is not a favorite topic to many, but I dont think I have ever enjoyed any group more than Art Van Damme and his groups. He and pianist George Shearing had the vibes, guitar, bass and drums grouping and had a running joke about who came up with the idea first ! I had the wonderful pleasure of seeing Art live two times...his arrangements were always so tasteful and his accordion playing the best I ever heard ! Jazz accordion...any other fans of Art here ??
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 18 May 2019 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 1:14 am    

I remember hearing a great Album by Art Van Damme and Johnny Smith and really digging it. I had never heard of a Jazz Accordion player before. Johnny Smith is an amazing guitarist and Art Van Damme does a great job keeping up with him. You could tell it was a labor of love. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8r7nu7SVM

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 3:29 am    

My dad's an accordion player (like Art, studied with the great Andy Rizzo in Chicago), and we went and saw Art play in Chicago about 15 years ago. He was using a Chicago trio behind him. It was awesome.

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 8:46 am    

Yes! I love jazz accordion!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 2:15 am    

Art is terrific. Back around 1992, I saw him and his group as part of the "Accordions that shook the Word tour that included Tex-Mex, Celtic and experimental players along with Art's jazz playing.

My all-time favorite jazz accordionist is the late Frank Marocco - here with reeds master, Ray Pizzi.

http://www.raypizzi.com/15%20Jitterbug%20Waltz.mp3

http://www.raypizzi.com/03%20Ecaroh.mp3

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 4:33 pm    

I have a DVD of Frank Marocco...great player also.
Joe Pass was the guitarist on several of Art's albums. I think I have a vinyl copy of every one of Art's recordings.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 7:56 pm    

I actually heard a 5th grade classmate play "Lady Of Spain" and have liked accordion stuff ever since. I've always wondered why that song is so strongly associated with the accordion. Dick Contino, maybe?

There was a time when you would come across accordion music on AM radio, but I guess instrumentals are pretty much extinct.

Art did some fine accompaniment behind vocalists too--Jo Stafford as well as the Dinning Sisters (Buttons and Bows).

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2019 9:21 pm    

And Jeff Taylor of the Time Jumpers is no slouch either!