The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shedding some light on an old lap steel
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 2:21 pm    

Wait, I have that backwards: this steel sheds light on you!

I've been looking for one of these for a long time. Apparently, they're like buses: none for years, then a bunch show up at once. I purchased this one a few days ago, knowing that I was probably paying way too much but that I was unlikely to find another. Two days later, another one shows up for 1/3 that price at Guitar Center. That second one is still in transit so I'm not sure of its condition yet, but after examining this first one, I've found that they're pretty easy to get inside should repairs be needed.

As an armchair historian, the big question for me is who built them. You may have seen other steels with lots of colored Lucite, particularly the Magnatone Jeweltone series and other instruments under the Aloha brand. Having owned both of the above, I don't think this Orpheum is related to either of those. Orpheum guitars in the post-War period were sourced from United Guitars, Kay, and a few Japanese and Italian factories. I think this one came from United.

For one thing, the Premier-branded lap steels built by United had Lucite fish and palm trees:

The craftsmanship on this Orpheum, particularly in the knobs, is a step more complex than anything on the Magnatone and Aloha steels and closer to the Premier. Also, while the pickup construction is similar to those other builders, it also strongly resembles the Franz units found on most United guitars from the '50s. However, there are a couple of snags with this attribution. One is the serial number, which is unlike I've seen on a Premier or Orpheum guitar. Another is the use of Kluson tuners; United used Waverlies on almost everything. Since the Orpheum brand was owned in the '50s by Maurice Lipsky, a distributor out of NYC, it's most likely that the steel was built in the NYC area. United (Jersey City) remains my best guess, but the builder remains unclear.

What is clear is that this is quite a nice instrument. The body is either ash or oak, but it's mostly hollowed out and covered by a Lucite top and a padded particle board back. The output is quite low, but that's because the bridge is quite a bit higher than the pickup. Alas, I can't lower the strings without mauling the original bridge. The sustain is excellent, and all that Lucite hardware is stronger and more durable than you might expect. The lights are powered from a second detachable cord, and they run on an independent circuit so there's no chance of shocking oneself even without a grounded plug. The nut and bridge are offset in asymmetrical directions, but it's possible that the bridge was removed and put back the wrong way around.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 2:37 pm    

How cool.

Not out of any expertise......really only because it popped into my head....any possibility of Vega connection?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 2:46 pm    

If this is indeed a United product, then there is sort of a 2nd-cousin relationship with Vega. They both used Franz pickups, and the construction of this Orpheum's pickup resembles the units that Vega used on their Duo-Tron archtops at the time.

I think the fact that both companies used Lucite tuner knobs is just a coincidence, though.

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 3:04 pm    

Noah

Another great find.....that guitar is indeed "cool"

John Porcellino

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 5:40 pm    

Wow! Beautiful.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 5:40 am    

That’s gotta be one of the coolest instruments I’ve ever seen. Sweet find!
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 12:52 pm    

Remember that episode of Star Trek when they encountered a duplicate of Captain Picard? I think my living room is in a temporal vortex:

The second one isn't quite as clean, but it's not in bad shape either. It's missing the bridge saddle and the bulb-circuit plug has been changed, but the pickup and controls still work.

I'll probably get bored and sell one eventually, but in the meantime I may try to create the world's coolest D6 console by strapping them together.