The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Fox 5F8B Head Serial #30. $1,500
Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 5:01 am    

A few months ago, I bought a used Fox Vintage Amp online from a New York Guitar Center. It's the High Powered Twin Model 5F8B in a 2x12 combo. Guitar Center told me it had a minor hiss. (SURE!) When I turned on the amp, it had a VERY loud hum! Also, one of the prongs was busted off the tube. They shipped it in a box that was WAY too big, and it was shaking around in the box! The manager at Guitar Center was rude on the phone, and only offered to send brand new tubes. I ended up taking the chassis out, and sending it to Ken to have serviced. Since I'm unemployed, Ken was kind enough to service it for free. He re-biased the amp, checked all the connections, etc. He tested it through one of his speaker cabinets, and everything works great! After he fixed it, I decided that I wanted to have it made into a head/cab. I sent it to Rick Johnson to have the cabinet made. It's been a few months, and I STILL have yet to hear how this amp sounds, which is a shame. I'm sure it's awesome. However, Since I can't afford the speakers and speaker cabinets right now, It's in my best interest to sell it. It's just been one headache after another since I got it, and I need the money bad. There are only a few minor issues. The logo was not installed. Rick did not have the nails for the logo, so he is sending those today. Also, the chassis is a little loose, and Rick said he couldn't get it any tighter, so I'll try and see if I can tighten it. You may need different washers. I'm asking $1,500 shipped. It's a brand new cabinet, brand new tubes, and basically a brand new amp. PM me if interested.

Jason

Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 6:19 am    

BUMP

Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 9:47 am    

BUMP

Ricky Thompson

Starke, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 5:15 am     Amp and cabinet

Sent you a pm

Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2019 4:18 pm    

BUMP

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2019 4:59 pm    

Hello all,

I have no dog in this hunt (obviously) but I have the same amp that I just put into a head cabinet and it beats any amp I’ve ever owned. Period. Weight wise, I’d be surprised if it comes in at thirty pounds and it has power and then some. In fact, it has more power than a twin reverb at a third of the weight. The clarity is out of this world. So clean in fact that it took me just a bit to adjust my ears to it. Want string separation? It has it in spades. And that’s with my Emmons LeGrande III. I was nearly knocked out of my seat the first time I plugged my push pull into it. Oh....warmth...I almost forgot to mention that. The tone is so warm and sweet it’s like butter and honey. Also, with just bass, mids, treble and presence controls, it’s EXTREMELY easy to dial in a killer tone with it.

Ken really hit it out of the park with this one, and it’s a shame he’s no longer making them. Warmth, power, clarity and ease of use...what more can a steel player ask for? It’s not the “cheapest” amp currently listed, but it’s priced very fairly and IMHO this is a tremendous value. I’m surprised it’s lasted this long.

Skeeter

Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 6:55 am    

Hey Skeeter,

Thanks for the awesome review!! I had one guy interested, but haven't heard back from him. Hopefully soon.

forrest klott wrote:
Hello all,

I have no dog in this hunt (obviously) but I have the same amp that I just put into a head cabinet and it beats any amp I’ve ever owned. Period. Weight wise, I’d be surprised if it comes in at thirty pounds and it has power and then some. In fact, it has more power than a twin reverb at a third of the weight. The clarity is out of this world. So clean in fact that it took me just a bit to adjust my ears to it. Want string separation? It has it in spades. And that’s with my Emmons LeGrande III. I was nearly knocked out of my seat the first time I plugged my push pull into it. Oh....warmth...I almost forgot to mention that. The tone is so warm and sweet it’s like butter and honey. Also, with just bass, mids, treble and presence controls, it’s EXTREMELY easy to dial in a killer tone with it.

Ken really hit it out of the park with this one, and it’s a shame he’s no longer making them. Warmth, power, clarity and ease of use...what more can a steel player ask for? It’s not the “cheapest” amp currently listed, but it’s priced very fairly and IMHO this is a tremendous value. I’m surprised it’s lasted this long.

Skeeter

Ricky Thompson

Starke, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 12:14 pm     Amp

Jason sent you pm thanks

Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 7:17 am    

Still available!!

Jason Dunkle

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2019 7:12 am    

Please close. Surprisingly, no interest. Gonna list it somewhere else.