The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Deluxe into Power (only) Amp
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 10:19 am    

I've looked all over the internet trying to find any info on this, or anything.

I have a BF Deluxe that I built from a Weber kit. I've kinda pirated it for parts, and it's out of the cabinet. I want to try to convert it to be a Power Amp only.

This can't be as simple as taking everything out before the PI and hooking that up to a jack?

Does anyone have any info, schematics, links, thought on this. This is just a project for me, so it's just for fun/re-use of these parts.

I'd like top use it after a rack-pre, just to screw around with a six-string. I guess I'd want to add a volume control to it too.

Thanks for any info!
Mike

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 10:08 am    

You can do that... Ieasier to make a resistor divider on the speaker out. Add a transformer and it becomes a DI.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 6:50 am    

You should be able to use the input to the phase inverter circuit as your entry point for your preamp. That should be where the two 220K ohm resistors and the .001mF capacitor meet. The preamp tubes can be pulled.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 10:28 am    

That's kind of what I was thinking. Right after where the two channels join before the phase inverter.

Is it really that simple?

I was trying to find a schematic of an amp that has a Pre-In, but looked somewhat similar to the Power section of teh Deluxe that I have.

Thanks!

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 11:19 am    

Yes it should be that simple. Just make sure that the preamp tubes that drive those summing resistors are pulled so you don't have the potential for any unwanted voltages showing up at that point. You previously mentioned a volume control. If needed, it can be installed at that point.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 5:14 am    

A deluxe will be a little under powered.
You might consider something like a Straight Ahead mini- Power Amp from Jay Ganz.

https://www.facebook.com/straightaheadamp/

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2019 10:35 am    

Thanks for the replies, guys. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

This would be for six-string, not steel. I have many 50 (and 100W) amps, and, of course, they're all too loud to turn up at home, really.

I thought a 25W power amp might allow me to get it turnt up a bit more.

I don't play out ever, so this is for Madison Square Bedroom, mostly. Smile

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2019 5:55 pm    

First - "wattage" does not directly equate to "output volume". The particular amp's design, tube vs solid state, cathode vs fixed bias; bias setting; output transformer size/type (lighter generally results in early saturation/low headroom; larger/heavier (and more expensive) generally results in late breakup and saturation); phase inverter type; negative feedback implementation, speaker sensitivity, cabinet type(s), total cone square inches and cabinet design and materials....

....these ALL have as much if not more to do with the output volume of an amplifier than raw "power".

The difficulty here is that "creating" a tube power amp isn't simply a matter of chopping off everything ahead of the driver circuit in an existing "complete amplifier". You have to calculate the power supply requirements (voltage, current); the specific voltages needed at each stage, tube filament needs, rectifier type, input impedance, etc etc.

It's an amp design project, requiring a solid knowledge of electronics AND practical knowledge when it comes to design of tube amplifier circuits. It'll usually start with a block diagram of vital sections needed - then schematic detailing inside the blocks followed by a draft schematic of the complete circuit

Later will be draft layouts - several possibilities with different ground points and lead dress for noise reduction purposes. And it may take a few mockup assemblies before you get a workable version.

FWIW there's a significant difference between "knowledgable amp tech" and "knowledgable amp designer". Both take extensive electronics knowledge but differing types of practical application.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional