The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Plain-Jane cables are ok?
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 May 2019 4:52 pm    

Plain-Jane cables? That was the topic.

Perhaps a definition is in order.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 27 May 2019 5:47 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:

Don't wanna get too plain. The cable, even if it makes microphonic noise when you step on them but still sounds good, may have non-standard sized plugs, ill-fitting in your American made guitar's jacks.

Whoa!

And conversely, we get the cable made with plugs that are too large and end up getting stuck inside the jack to where an emergency plug-otomy is needed.

Rolling Eyes

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 12:23 am    

PLAIN-JANE

Can't be repaired, cheap stranded wire or worse, solid core center wire, cheap plugs . But they look good from the outside and have some sort of brand name on them .

I bet many of us have a box full of CRXXP cables from the past.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 5:03 am    

IMHO cables make a huge difference and it’s worth making an investment. “Plain Jane” cables aren’t really worth considering.

You need cables that are durable and can handle the broad range of the PS (I.e. that have low-capacitance).

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 8:42 am    

I got a bunch of these Kirlin woven tweed jacket cables when MF was blowing them out a few months ago. They cleared them out, but they're also here at amazon at closeout prices:

10' straight-to-straight: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JOP0QI8

10' straight-to-right-angle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y4S67OM

I also got some 20 footers, but they're a lot more now, and I rarely need a 20 foot cable, and then only for guitar.

I really like these cables. 20 gauge, 95% oxygen-free, gold-plated jacks, the tweed woven jackets are very flexible and loop easily to store, they come with cable-ties, and IMO they sound as good as anything I have. We'll see on durability, but they seem well-built. Looking inside the jack cover, the soldered connections are tightly wound with black plastic and look well put together.

Another cable I've had good luck with is Quantum Audio Design Q-2100C "oxygen-free" cable. To me, they sound noticably more present than the usual rapco/horizon, whirlwind, proco, and so on suspects on an A/B test. I haven't bought any of the Quantums in a long time, I still have and use the ones I got 15 or more years ago, not even sure where to find them at this point.

I also have and use George L's for short runs, e.g., from steel to volume pedal to effects board. They sound good, but I've never cared for the way they feel for longer runs for guitar, for example. And short runs are also pretty inexpensive.

I decided to get a few of the D'Addario molded-end cables several months back - MF had 'em cheap, but two are already problematic and I should KNOW not to get any type of molded cable. Seems like they work fine until they don't, I wouldn't bother again. I think they're onto something with the make-your-own cables b0b is selling, but I feel a bit burned by the ones that failed.

One of my problems is that cables disappear. I can't find one of the George L's I used Saturday night. Stuff happens, it may turn up in someone else's gig bag, it's never intentional. Just everybody trying to get out and someone grabs the wrong cable. But I will never buy real expensive cork-sniffer cables - the ones I've tried were no better than the ones I mentioned above, to my tastes.

Pretty much any cable will eventually go bad if you use them long enough and hard enough. I have a couple of boxes of cables that have gone wrong over the last 30-40 years. Every once in a while I'll dig a few out and get out the soldering iron. But it's a PITA, and half the time one or more of the jacks are shot - and it's about as expensive to buy a couple of (good) jacks as it is to buy new cables like the ones I mentioned above.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2019 11:53 am    

Live Wire cables work just fine. I have a few that I've been using for the last 5 years with no problems. I've taken them to tons of gigs and practices during this time. If they ever break, I'll take them to GC and trade them in.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 6:42 pm    

I'm so glad years ago Jeff Newman taught me how to build a guitar cable, and what to build them out of. I only use cables i build myself. The GeorgeL's pedal board cables are the biggest pieces of junk i have seen to date. Failure rate close to 73%. I agree with the poster who said $4,000 steel, $1,000 amplifier, and a $10 cable. A cable is the weakest link in your audio chain, your speaker being second. If you don't mind gambling on a junk cable during a live performance, you're a braver lad then i.

Making a few cables for friends. If i charge them anything at all, it's just enough to cover materials. Just a fun hobby.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 7:22 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:

I'd call "plain Jane" any regular, inexpensive instrument cable; something that's not "boutique" or specially made for steel guitar. A cable that doesn't rely on meaningless buzz-words like, "gold plated", "oxygen-free", "braided jacket", "heavy duty", "professional grade", "classic series"...etc. You just need a wire, a simple $9 or $10 cable is all that's really required. If your fancy cable that costs $40 or $50 a pop makes you feel good, fine. But telling someone that they really need to use that kind of stuff is probably counterproductive.

Change your strings more often. That will do more for your sound and playing than a $40 or $50 guitar cable.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 29 May 2019 7:43 pm    

I agree 100%. And to further show donny's reasoning i will add this link as a guide. But in the end, the choice is yours. I can build a great cable for around $20. It is exactly like the Rattle Snake Custom shop $80 job. Although i seldom have calls for that elaborate of a cable, with flex wrap and all. Most cables i build are right around the $10 range.
As a side note. I still have the cable Jeff Newman showed me how to build. He gave me two Switchcraft 280 Straight 1/4" plugs, and cut me off a hunk (approx 10') of Belden 8410 cable. That cable although dry rotted still works today. The plugs were .69 cents each back then, and the cable not over a couple bucks.

http://sfguitarworks.com/the-great-cable-myth/

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 5:34 am    

To each his own, but I don't think that BASHING a company that has stood with the steel guitar world for over 40 years is the way to approach this.

I am speaking of the statement "The GeorgeL's pedal board cables are the biggest pieces of junk i have seen to date. Failure rate close to 73%"

As a PROUD dealer of George L's products, I take offense to that statement being posted on a forum.

I have sold more of these cables than I can remember and have over a 98% SUCCESS Rate.

So if you made up your own George L's cables, maybe you did not follow their written instructions.

As far as that article. I suspect it was written by someone affiliated with the "cheap" cable industry.

Yes, I think good cables have gotten to be too expensive, but by comparison, so have steel guitars and amps.
It's all subjective.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 7:05 am    

Bill, I am guessing he is talking about the right-angle jacks. I am GeorgeL regular-jack with jack-cover user, and have basically never had one fail, but I would never recommend anyone ever use the right angle bend jacks (based on my own field testing the screw-cap design was not gig worthy over the course of time).

Last edited by Pete Burak on 30 May 2019 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 7:10 am    

Thanks Pete. I hear what you are saying, but public bashing is out of line, in my opinion.

There is definitely a "trick" to getting the R/A George L's Plugs to work properly. However, when directions are followed and then lightly tightened with pliers, they just virtually don't fail. Or at least for me and I use them for everything.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 30 May 2019 8:09 am    

With all due respect bill. I know of very few.....very few steel guitarist who use or purchase the GeorgeL's Pedal Board set. Very few. How many do you know that have purchase this set of cables? I know of 3 players. One steel guitar, and 2 guitar players. All 3 had failures, all 3 built these things per the many many many many many many many {you get the idea} instructional video's that are out there. It isn't rocket science for crying out loud. All had failures from these things that were never disturbed on their pedal boards. These are over kill anyway for players who sit, or stand in one spot and never move on stage for crying out loud. And the price of these things are just ridiculous. Here is a set from Reverb.com. My goodness, it's ridiculous.
https://reverb.com/item/1637323-george-l-s-pedal-board-kit-10-patch-cables-10-ft-of-cable-20-plugs-20-caps-fx-patch-cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInp3btM7D4gIVkcDACh1xeAFREAQYAiABEgJDh_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

$162 bucks for 10 feet of cable and 20 caps. Gotta be made out of gold. And Bill, again, GeorgeL's has not stood beside any player more then any other player. It's the player doing the company a big favor by buying this stuff, not the other way around. No company would be in business without the player end user. Sure i appreciate their service, and products...but stand by me? Ummm....yeah. I stand by my statement don't care whose offended. I'm too old to care. I don't like'em...sorry. Steel On....... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 8:13 am    

George, I agree, everyone has their opinion and you have a right to yours.
I just don't agree with PUBLIC bashing of companies just because you don't like their product.

Nope, not many steelers use the pedalboard kit. But guitar players love it.
I don't just sell to steel guitar players.
If I did, I would go broke. hehe

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 9:10 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:

I just don't agree with PUBLIC bashing of companies just because you don't like their product.

Welcome to the Internet Bill ! I think folks are offering a personal review rather than a bashing.

My primary Steel cable from VP to amp is a George L, going on 10 years now, same cable not a single repair. I lost the short cable from Steel to VP. !

Maybe I cancel out one not so good review... maybe ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

George Redmon

Post  Posted 30 May 2019 9:44 am    

Bill my friend, i wasn't bashing anyone including the GeorgeL's folks. As a matter of fact, the builder of my Whitney Keyless, put GeorgeL's Stainless on that steel guitar some 30 years ago when he built it. He recommended i keep that brand, gauge, and type on that guitar. I did, and to this day, i still use GeorgeL's Stainless on that steel. Call Bill at William Steel Guitar Company right now.....ask him what strings i sent him for the Williams keyless build he did for me. It was also GeorgeL's Stainless. So please don't read something into what i posted, that simply wasn't there.

As far as your comment about guitarist just loving the GeorgeL's pedal board cable sets, just isn't a fact. A very dear friend of mine sent me this video which really made my day. This video was made by 3 top YouTube Channel guitarist. All 3 are seasoned studio and live stage musicians, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. I recommend the entire video, but you can actually start it at 600. They speak on this very subject. I can relate to their frustration. Like i said, just made my day. Again, if you like these sort of cables, can afford them, and they work for you...wonderful. Just not my cup of gin.

https://youtu.be/v5Q7HAGI1pE

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 9:59 am    

I'm real happy with the D'Addario (formerly Planet Waves) system. I wired up an effects pedal board with it, and also cut some custom lengths for my stage system. www.steelguitarshopper.com/plugs-and-cables/