The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What bar to use? New to Pedal Steel
Michael Sheehan

Everett, Washington, USA - Heading back to Florida 2021
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 4:51 pm    

I have been using a dobro bar (I think that's what it is; horn at the front, easy grip on sides) - I've seen quite a few different bars in videos, mostly the round/cylindrical numbers that are bigger than the old Ernie Ball steel I had decades ago.

I'd be happy to hear any recommendations for a newby.

I just placed an order for a Zumsteel Encore from Doug Earnest/Stage One, not expecting it to be ready until late July.

If this is the wrong area to post this, mods, please delete or move and let me know. I tried searching for Bar and Tone Bar but I get a ton of non-related hits.

Thanks, gang!

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 9:58 pm    

my advice:

don't spend too much money to start with

I have spent 100s on bars, but I oftentimes end up using my first ever one which is a cheap stainless steel Dunlop 920

be mindful of the strings you use. If you have stainless strings, a stainless bar might not be as nice as a chrome one. "Galling" is the term I think, where like metals wear by sticking to each other under friction. some will flame on here, as there are many who believe this is not a problem, but I do. Give it some thought.

I use stainless and chrome bars (and I have some powder coated ones) on my nickel strings. Powder coated bars I find are nice, but you lose some of the brilliance of steel. Some people (like my band mates) prefer that.

Get the bar to fit your hand, not the guitar. Don't fall into the trap of buying a "10-string bar" or a "12 string bar" that doesn't fit your hand.

7/8th is easier to control and easier to intone than a larger diameter (15/16ths+) bar. They might sound ballsier, but its harder to see the frets and to get them bang on. There is a reason many top pros stick with 7/8th bars
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 2:38 am    

Wait for two days until b0b reopens the Forum store. Last I looked, (IIRC) he sold the basic Dunlop bar. It is perfectly good enough for your needs. If and when you are ready to see if you want something more expensive, look into it. But you will not appreciate or benefit from something better for a few years. Those benefits are real but not really attainable until you learn how to create tone with both of your hands.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 13 May 2019 5:54 am    

Thank you for the replies! Sounds like sage advice.

James Lewis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 10:26 am    

I’m new too. I was using the Dunlop 920 but switched to a slightly longer 7/8th 12-string bar from Williams Guitar Company, though I’m only playing on a 10-string. I have an easier time intonating with it and the benefits to me were immediate. I do have slightly larger hands. The 12 string bar was more expensive at $50, but I’ve seen others go up to $100 or more from other companies.

Winnie Winston advises against using a dobro bar in his book but he doesn’t really go into detail as to why.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 10:52 am    

Also a newb but it’s hard to do slants with a dobro bar I believe. If you ever find yourself wanting to do them. If you ever play some non pedal steel you’ll want a round bar probably.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 13 May 2019 11:03 am    

Thanks for the advice, guys. I do play around on a C6 1950s Fender, and have been doing slants with the dobro bar, but I’m looking to expand my chops, so a cylindrical bar seems in order 😊

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 11:36 am     Whaat bar to use, New to Pedal Steel

The first 2 points when picking a bar. First you need a bar to fit the guitar. More important you need a bar to fit your hand. If you have small hands or meaty fingers, A smaller diameter bar may work great for you. Length of your fingers controls the length of bar you will be comfortable with. I suggest trying different length bars before buying. When you find the perfect fit. Buy a spare too. The bar is going to become the extension of your right hand when at the Guitar.

I played with a 1" X 3 1/2" bar for years. When I bought a second hand S12U guitar there was a 1" X 3 3/4" bar in the deal with the Guitar. I have long fingers and that 1/4 inch allows me to trap the bar under my right index finger against my palm, Takes little pressure from thumb and middle finger to control the bar. Once I played with this bar I fell for it and ordered its twin a Dunlop 1" X 3 3/4"
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 13 May 2019 11:40 am    

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 9:50 am    

Michael,A friend of mine just passed away and his wife gave me his bar so I will send it to you and we'll all be thrilled!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 14 May 2019 10:04 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Michael,A friend of mine just passed away and his wife gave me his bar so I will send it to you and we'll all be thrilled!

Thank you, Stu! I’m honored and will treasure the bar. I responded to your email.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 16 May 2019 2:14 pm    

A big thank you to Stu for hooking me up with his friend's bar. A real treasure that arrived today. Very Happy

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 2:18 pm    

Outstanding.