The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on Fender Mustang GT100 amp/Lightweight suggestions
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 6:44 pm    

Looking for lightweight options.
First, Any opinions on this Fender Mustang GT100 amp?
It has a 12 inch speaker, a bass, mid and treble control and of course a zillion effects I would probably never use on steel, but is lightweight 22 pounds and has line outs for a PA. They make a smaller model of this Mustang GT series amp, but I figure I would need nothing less than a 12 inch speaker.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MustGT100--fender-mustang-gt-100-100-watt-1x12-inch-combo.

OR ... do something a friend of mine did. Instead of a "combo" amp, doing something like a lightweight Quilter tone block head and a separate speaker and a few effect boxes (reverb, distortion etc)?

Thanks
K

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 5:36 am    

I haven't used the GT or even heard one but the Mustang 111 v2 was it's predecessor and I use that with excellent results on pedal steel and 6 string guitar. Takes a little dialing in and understanding but not really that hard and the dials are fully responsive and you can save your settings.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 1:38 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
I haven't used the GT or even heard one but the Mustang 111 v2 was it's predecessor and I use that with excellent results on pedal steel and 6 string guitar. Takes a little dialing in and understanding but not really that hard and the dials are fully responsive and you can save your settings.

Do you have a sound clip of the steel through this amp?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 3:21 pm    

Greg. No recording equipment to make a track. I will say using the Twin Reverb settings and then tweaking the knobs to taste gets me in the right place. I also have 2 older Twin Reverbs to compare with. I'm a bit of a tone snob and have a load of amps. I will use this over my Quilter micropro mach 2. If you get a chance, try one. My only concern is the digital screen. If it fails you're done.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 10:14 am    

I think they have refined those digital screens now. I have several devices that have that type of screen and none have failed over the years.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 6:44 pm    

I went and tried one of those Mustangs today. They are kinda neat sounding with a guitar. As far as the "twin sound", lets dream shall we. Nothing is like a real twin. But the sounds are pretty good and the amp is pretty touch responsive. And could probably coax decent sound out with a steel. Still, that digital led screen .... I don't know. And an optional footswitch, although not necessary, is expensive! But they are lightweight, thats for sure.
I will think about it for awhile...
Still weighing out other option of a lightweight head like a Toneblock and building a lightweight cabinet for a speaker. I already have the basic effects pedals.
Gee , it would be nice to have EVERYTHING!

K

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 7:27 am    

I haven't tried the GT, but I believe it's main evolution from the Mustang III is the addition of Bluetooth. I used a Mustang III for two years. It was a great, lightweight, grab and go solution, but the sound was always a compromise - flat, artificial, uninspiring. Eventually I got fed up with twiddling the infinite controls and effects settings and went back to schlepping my Twin Reverb. Recently I acquired a 68 Fender Custom Vibrolux which gives me seriously great Fender sound in a smaller, lighter (for me) package.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 3:45 pm    

There are a few of us that are very happy with the lightweight Fender Rumble bass amps (need at least a reverb pedal). I use a Rumble 200w w/1x15" and it's really light.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 7:33 pm    

I had a Mustang III sounded pretty darn good, sold it, then bought it back again. Was never able to get the same sounds out of the GT for some reason