The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence Travis Toy
Dave Flanagan

Mt. Vernon,Il.
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 1:35 pm    

I ordered two Speakers from Midwest Speakers of Roseville MN., the Travis Toy 15" Steel speakers and Midwest got them right out, There ad said 30 day 100% satisfaction Guarantee, however when I called to return them I was told there is a 25% restocking fee. This is not a way to run a trusting business in my opinion. Just getting there policy out there for them

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 4:46 pm    

Quote:
100% satisfaction Guarantee

Sounds to me like you may not be 100% satisfied.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 5:31 pm    

Their published return policy from the link on their home page:

"POLICIES
Return Policy: All products have a 30 day return policy. Some products are subject up to a 25% restocking fee. For all free shipping items sent back for a refund, buyers will get back the refund minus the original shipping costs that we spent shipping it to you"

Link here:

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/returns-privacy-policy/

Sounds like you lose their cost of shipping, your cost to ship back to them and 25% if you return them. I've got the 12" TT-12 and it's great. Perhaps give them 72 hours of break in by playing full range music through them. My 12" is awesome for steel guitar and perhaps a little light on treble for the tele.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 3 May 2019 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 12:55 am    

Just curious what made you want to send them back?

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 5:28 am    

I have a TT12 that I bought used from them. I'll probably go there and buy one of your returned ones. Of course they can't sell a returned speaker as new. I know those speakers need some break in time. I like my TT12.

Dave Flanagan

Mt. Vernon,Il.
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 8:37 am    

Tommy, I Like the sound of my 1501s even through there heavy and these just don't sound as good to me. I may keep them if I don't sell because I've been told they need some break in time Rolling Eyes Steve, Greg your probably right

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 12:01 pm    

I have also heard that the Travis Toy TT-12 speakers can benefit from some break in time. I was planning to record a loop with my Ditto pedal, press play, and walk away for a 4 hour burn-in this weekend.

I'll be curious to see if I can tell a difference. It may take a couple of passes.

Bill

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 1:52 pm    

I've got a TT12 and also a new Telonics TSNEO-12. They are both good but the new Telonics (advertised as pre-broken in by Telonics) is sweeter than the TT12. I've tried/compared them both installed in a Nashville 112.

OTOH, I have an Eminence EPS-15C and its a super speaker. I did field testing of the EPS-15C for Eminence and new the first time I tried it my impression was it sounded like a JBL K-130 that I once installed in a Twin Reverb. Probably no coincidence as the EPS-15C was designed to be a direct replacement for the Peavey 1501-4's. And according to what I recall from Mike Brown, the 1501-4 was designed to be a high power clone of the JBL that Peavey originally used in the Session 400 amp. The JBL's couldn't handle the power and would blow so the Peavey BW 1501-4 was designed to sound like the JBL but handle the power of the Session 400.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 5:42 pm    

[quote="Dave Flanagan"]Tommy, I Like the sound of my 1501s even through there heavy and these just don't sound as good to me. I may keep them if I don't sell because I've been told they need some break in time Rolling Eyes Steve, Greg your probably right[/quote]

Hard to beat a 1501 unless its the ESP-15. 15's move more air of course. Eminence do need to be broke it. I am using the TT12 and it took a while to break in. It was pretty evident when it broke in I was actually playing and all of a sudden it happened. definitely noticeable. I had to redo my amp settings for the TT12 VS ESP12. Hope it all works out.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 5:47 pm    

[quote="Jack Stoner"]I've got a TT12 and also a new Telonics TSNEO-12. They are both good but the new Telonics (advertised as pre-broken in by Telonics) is sweeter than the TT12. I've tried/compared them both installed in a Nashville 112.

OTOH, I have an Eminence EPS-15C and its a super speaker. I did field testing of the EPS-15C for Eminence and new the first time I tried it my impression was it sounded like a JBL K-130 that I once installed in a Twin Reverb. Probably no coincidence as the EPS-15C was designed to be a direct replacement for the Peavey 1501-4's. And according to what I recall from Mike Brown, the 1501-4 was designed to be a high power clone of the JBL that Peavey originally used in the Session 400 amp. The JBL's couldn't handle the power and would blow so the Peavey BW 1501-4 was designed to sound like the JBL but handle the power of the Session 400.[/quote]

Jack we worked hard on the EPS-15 and the EPS-12. Took several months of going back in forth. Cobi Stein was the artist relations guy back then. I sacrificed a 1501-4 and the only 1201-4 I had to be dissected to help with those two speakers. I thought we nailed it. Eminence still offers the EPS15 but the 12 is a special order outta the custom shop now I was told when they sent me these TT12 to try out. Eminence folks are good people.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 8:37 pm    

I am testing out the new Sweetwater Princeton Tweed amp with a 12" Eminence Hemp surround speaker that comes with it. I'm at 52 hours of run time at a very loud level of full range music to break it in. I have read that 72 hours or more may be needed with some surrounds. It's also true that it takes years for the speaker physical materials to age and deteriorate for some speakers to reach the vintage tone some of us like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 1:29 am    

It seems to me that a lot of the speakers mentioned are built somewhat to sound like a JBL which is a somewhat bright sounding speaker on the high end....The TT from what I’ve read sounds like a speaker that’s quite different from the JBL.....More of a mid pushed speaker.....Our ears aren’t getting any younger either.....Perhaps brighter,more present sounding speakers are in order......Before my time, pickups were wound lighter to produce a brighter tone......JBL’s and Altec’s were the speaker of choice too...The modern tone has changed the early tone to a smoother, fuller, tone .......Tone is very subjective, and no 2 ears are alike..... Jim

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 2:04 am    

Tommy R Butler
Quote:
Jack we worked hard on the EPS-15 and the EPS-12. Took several months of going back in forth. Cobi Stein was the artist relations guy back then.

The lead engineer (don't remember his name) was the one I worked with doing the EPS-15C field testing for Eminence.

I tried an EPS-12C and they missed it for a steel speaker. It would have been great for a Telecaster. They picked the wrong Peavey speaker as a guide. the 1203-4 was the steel guitar speaker in the old Nashville 112 speaker cabinets like Jeff Newman used, not the 1201. Had they used the 1203 the EPS-12C may still be around.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:20 am    

I'm waiting for a Double T 15" I have on order, and will be very interested to see how it fares. It will be interesting how much I have to change the EQ on my amp, as at the moment I compensate for the pronounced high frequency boost that you get with neo speakers.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 1:49 pm    

Question? Can I put a TT-12 8 ohm in an NV 112 which takes 4 ohm. Or would I be better off special ordering a TT-12 4 ohm from Eminence. (more expensive)

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 2:27 pm     TT-12 speaker

The TT-12 8 ohm speaker works just fine in a Nash. 112. It will be at least as loud, and sounds very good.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 3:06 pm     Eminence Travis Toy

You can go up in ohms, but not down. The only problem you might have is the 8 ohm will not be quiet as loud,(George McDonald said no difference, so I assume he has tried it) but this is easily fixed, just turn the volume knob up slightly. My experience (based on JBL D-130's) has been that there is not a big difference, probably will only need to turn the knob 1/8" more. A lot depends on the efficiency ratings of the two speakers.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 2:28 am    

I've tried (and compared) a 4 ohm Telonics and an 8 ohm TT-12 and didn't notice any volume difference. May be, but I didn't hear any.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 8:57 am    

Thanks to all for your answers. I'm always ready to save a buck.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 12:36 pm    

When using a 8 ohm speaker in an amp designed for a 4 ohm load,
you won't hear a volume difference.
The only difference is the amp will put out less wattage,
so it may overdrive/distort a bit sooner than usual when pushed
with a stronger signal.

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 12:10 pm    

[quote="Jack Stoner"]I've tried (and compared) a 4 ohm Telonics and an 8 ohm TT-12 and didn't notice any volume difference. May be, but I didn't hear any.[/quote]

Eminence makes the Telonics speakers.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 2:41 pm    

Tommy, I was referring to the sound volume of 4 ohm/8 ohm speakers in a Nashville 112. I'm very aware they are both made by Eminence.

There is a difference in sound between the Travis Toy and Telonics. Suffice to say after trying both in a Nashville 112, I have the Telonics installed in the amp.