The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sold, Please Close, Emmons D10, Blue Mica. 2000.00
Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 1:36 pm    

Sold. thanks again for all your input. The owners have decided they would like to get 2000.00 for this piece. Buyer would be responsible for shipping charges to their location or pick up in Gunnison Co. Please read all the comments by other forum members as to Possible issues with the guitar. This is a steel I'm helping some customers of my guitar shop sell. It's an Emmons built in approx 1971 which is as close as she can recall. Her fathers piece and he has since passed. Apparently, he only used the E9 neck, I don't know if the C6 was ever set up and is missing most the tuning gears. 3 pedal rods. E's on the left. The instrument has output but the controls don't seem to affect anything. I can't see any labeling or serial number etched in it. A pedal works, B pedal nothing, C pedal works and needs adjustment. I would say this is a project instrument, possibly made into a SD or bring back to life as a double. The tone is actually awesome for what I get out of it. We will be selling the piece and taking offers that are reasonable, I would like to get a fair price for the seller based on the condition it's in. I can try and provide more info if you ask. Thanks, Kent PM or email.

Last edited by Kent Viles on 20 Jun 2019 8:54 am; edited 3 times in total

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 1:51 pm     nightmare project

this looks like a very difficult project and should only be sold face to face so the buyer knows what he is getting into...parts may or may not be available and the buyer needs to have the skill to rebuild it..few good players have the skill to build and play..but maybe you can find one of the few..good luck

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 1:56 pm     Little help if possible on Emmons D10, For Sale.

Thanks Brad and I agree completely. I know enough from playing pedal and designing reso's that it will need plenty of time however other then the tuning gears the mechanism seems to be basically there.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 2:19 pm    

Looks like a pick chicken but some of the Emmons gurus could bring her back too life for another 50 years of enjoyment. She’s worth a pretty penny just the way she Is.

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 2:27 pm     Little help if possible on Emmons D10, For Sale.

Thanks Johnie, yep, been around the block to know there's some value there to the right person with the skills.

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 6:35 pm    

It's a '74 or newer instrument. I saw that color the most in 71-74 so I' imagine it's a '74. Finding parts is not as much of an issue as packing and shipping it to and from a mechanic and labor costs in tuning it up or restoring it.

Scott Spanbauer

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 6:44 pm    

PM sent

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 6:44 pm     Emmons

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. The owner was pretty sure he got it in 71 but definitely not positive. I spent a little time on the E9 neck and pedals, I think I can get that portion to play however still needs a ton of work. I’m OK with shipping, been doing it for many many years, mainly guitars but quite a few steels too. Thanks again!

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 10:29 pm     Cool Guitar

That guitar should go to a seasoned professional "like" Billy Knowles, for assessment and to find out what options the person has with that guitar. Who knows he or someone like him could possibly make you an offer. So dog gone much just to ship it there and back but Atleast the owner would have a clear idea on what the most practical options would be. To me the Easiest thing to do would be remove all the C6th stuff put a pad on it and make a Single neck on a double frame. That's going to make a lot of guys cringe on here but it is a clear and probably the most cost effective option, however, maybe not the best option. I've seen those type double necks models sell, set up and ready to go for $3500 give or take $500. I don't see as much damage as I do missing parts. I'd love to see it brought back to it's full historic integrity. Looks like the fellow who played it got quite a bit of use out of it, I love well played instruments like this one, such personality and kind of an enigmatic attraction as well. Please Keep the thread open though and let us know what you end up doing with it. The Catch 22 and problem I see is restoring the guitar may end up leaving the owner in the red rather than in the green. I'm sure it'll sell, and your doing the right thing asking advice. Don't take any stupid offers, it's an 40 Year Old Emmons Double Neck, just needs a lot of TLC.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 5:57 am     Emmons

Email sent

John
widcj@hotmail.com

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 6:11 am     Caution

Here is a cautionary note:

If you are not certain about how to set up a PP (push - pull), I'd strongly advise not playing it. The lowering portions of the changer can be easily gouged and damaged buy the lower tuning bolts if the lowers do not have proper stops. Gouged changers are a bad big deal, and if they are not currently damaged, its best to keep em that way.

If you provide a serial number, I can tell you the year made.

Best,

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 7:37 am     Little help if possible on Emmons D10, For Sale.

Thanks, good information. I cannot locate a serial number. I'll look again today. Thanks.

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 7:52 am     Little help if possible on Emmons D10, For Sale.

I want to sincerely thank everyone for the input. I'm receiving many offers and I appreciate that.
I am reaching out to the owner of the Emmons and have them make a decision on how to proceed. Thanks for your patience and good advice!

Jeff Savage

Fort Covington, NY,
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2019 6:44 pm     Little help if possible on Emmons D10, For Sale

Whoever buys it...I would send it to Billy Knowles and leave it in his hands, He would have that just like new in no time...it's a beautiful steel and I think Billy would the best man for that job...just my honest opinion...Smile

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 4:19 am    

Keep in mind that this guitar will need extensive restoration, basically a complete gut job. The original cast pedals have been machined and are no longer original. I would gather too the mica is damaged and would need to be replaced if you want her like new. Also nice if one plans are to turn this into an SD-10. Add the cost of materials, professional polishing, other parts, professional labor, and keep fingers crossed the changer is not worn out! When you add it all up you could easily drop 2K+ into a restoration from any of a number of pros. If you went with a Lacquer finish like many of my guitars I do that number would increase.

If the buyer planned to make this an SD-10 some of the restoration costs could be offset by selling some of the left over parts.

This is just my 2 cents based on the many push pulls I have restored and also if the buyer plans to farm out all the extensive work this guitar would require.

Cheers!

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 7:09 am     Emmons guitar reply

What I can see, the C6th changer is in bad shape and would need replaced, the E9th changer is ok, the formica looks to be on the body, I agree with Mike somebody wanted narrow pedals and grinded these to that, so all pedals need replaced, and maybe two knee levers, pickup on C6th is probably dead, does not seem connected to the neck, this could make for a parts guitar for another rebuild maybe, I have beautiful formica at home I could restore it but getting new pedals for could be hard, and the C6th changer will be difficult to get.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 8:07 am    

Ok what would this Emmons bring fully restored to a Sd10 4 an 5. With new Formica

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 8:12 am     parts guitar

i definitely could us it as a parts guitar, oh well i am not that lucky....jack

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 8:36 am     Emmons D10, Project, Blue Mica. 2000.00

thanks again for all your input. The owners have decided they would like to get 2000.00 for this piece. Buyer would be responsible for shipping charges to their location or pick up in Gunnison Co. Please read all the comments by other forum members as to Possible issues with the guitar.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 9:12 am    

This won’t last long at $2000 great deal. If she set near me I would have her what a super deal!!!

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 10:34 am    

Serial number? On the end plate’s underside?

Kent Viles

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 10:44 am     Emmons D10, Project, Blue Mica. 2000.00

I'm sorry, I've looked and just looked again, don't see any number etched in or label.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 10:44 am    

I'm kinda with Mike Skaggs on this one . . . you're lookin at close to $5500 in it after a completed resto. Not so sure this one would be for me.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 10:46 am    

Look here

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 10:52 am     Emmons guitar reply

I noticed that to Mike, check the keyheads, on the E9th most keys were replaced, only one original butterfly key is on the keyhead 5th string.