The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neo Ventilator 2 Review
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 6:08 am    

Lots of reviews on the web for this excellent unit. Mine is more steel guitar focused. I ditched my Pog 2 type effects as I tired of the whole organ sound craze and still love the raw Leslie rotating speaker sound.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Neo%20Ventilator%202/Neo%20Ventilator%202.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 2:48 pm    

Greg, thanks for the excellent and thorough review. I have to agree... it's a bit pricey, but really nails the 122 vibe. I'm so happy I sprung for the Neo Vent II (and a half-moon remote) as it's incredibly well built and the sound is so good.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 4:56 pm    

Mike, how do you have your reverb setup and are you running stereo? Gotta get one of those half moon switches!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 10:59 am    

Hi Greg,
I'm running mono, although I'm sure that stereo would really enhance the vibe. My system is actually two separate FX chains: one for "Steel" and one for "B3" (the AB-2 switch selects which chain goes to the amps). The HOF2 is used for the straight steel stuff and I tweak it according to the song (but generally a medium to large hall). The HOF mini is dedicated to the B3 thing and just provides a touch of medium hall ambiance so it's not completely dry. This setup required separate volume control locations in the two chains (stereo Ernie Ball), because the B9 and wah ("drawbars") are really part of the "instrument's voice", and the compression employed by the B9 doesn't work well with the volume pedal ahead of it.
I got my half moon from Ashby Solutions... really well made. Mine is slow/fast only: no stop, as I always want it engaged in this configuration. Velcro'd to the rear apron. So easy to kick it in/out with right hand after grabbing a chord without interrupting feet, or having to look away.

The youtube clip demonstrates switching from B3 to Steel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4BKtRsedw
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 12:13 pm    

Excellent setup Mike! Stereo would make the reverb configuration even more challenging. Looking at where we are at with all these cables and switches, I wonder if the Fractal Axe III finally makes sense with it's stereo/ mono chain capabilities and really good effects and routing. Not cheap but neither are all these pedals when you add them up. The Fractal does have a rotary sim and stellar effects but prices out to $2,250. Your half moon switch is awesome!

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2019 1:40 pm    

Thanks Greg. I was not aware of the Fractal Axe III.... sounds like an amazing box. Only a couple of bucks more than what I spent putting my rig together, including $500 worth of Strymon power supplies and my custom rack case. Still, I'm completely happy with this system, as it's ergonomics work for me, it gives me the tools (and sounds) I want, and it's dead quiet. Plus it's on wheels, and there's room inside for all my accessories and a sandwich.
FX/pedal boards are very personal (and rightly so), just like our instruments are. We each follow our inspiration until we're pleased with it (at least until we change our minds). But I digress...
Back to the topic at hand: Your assessment of the Neo Ventilator II is spot on. As close to a 122 as you can get at only 2.5 lbs.

James Winger

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 8:05 am    

I love the signal flow diagram!

Actually I do. I used to to manual drafting (I still have a mutoh machine on a planhold table)- patent drawing, architectural drawing with the "house hand" (their lettering style)
They have a look of their time

and the MS paint (or equivalent) quick n dirty arrows are just this artifact of these days.

It makes me laugh, saying I DO THAT TOO!

-----------------

thanks for the reviews. yeah stero seems like it'd really do a lot. My wife got rid of her leslie cab and then motion sound she'd run her rhodes through

The really nice part I always liked was how it had..."dynamic ambience" for lack of a better term.
I mean they way the rotation would spray the sound in different directions and change how the sound bounces around the room
that part you don't get when you have a leslie outside

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 2:23 pm    

The thing about doing "stereo" is that it's not really evident except from the localized area of where you as the player, are. The rest of the band and the audience will not hear it. Even if the stereo signal is sent to the PA, unless everyone is sitting in the center of the power alley, (center between both speakers) the stereo effect will not be heard. YMMV

When doing a Leslie sim, it is difficult to create the physical rotor effect.

As how Mike runs his, mono is about as good as a sim gets unless you're wearing headphones hearing it or standing real close to a stereo rig with stereo speakers. You, the player are the only one who will notice the stereo spread.

Now if live shows end up being like Mike Einziger's MIXhalo where the audience is hearing the concert through the app on their smartphones, then a Leslie sim will take on a new standing in the sound effect department.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 11:45 am    

Check this out! The rotary sound produced by the Fractal Axe-FX3 at 3:23 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIcjRNZkDM