| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can I recommend a book? Harmonic Experience
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 4:57 am    

I'm a low man on the totem pole experience wise. But I thought I'd recommend this book.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Harmonic-Experience/W-A-Mathieu/9780892815609

It's the best book on music of any kind I've ever read and has some very applicable steel content. It's a bit hard to explain but extremely readable. It does take some actual practice time to go through, but it has changed my ear and my understanding of music greatly, and it has been entertaining along the way.

It's sort of an overarching study of how music functions, with a close eye on intonation. He talks about the overtone series and how that makes something sound flat or sharp. He goes through each interval and discusses the different intonation possibilities and how you can color a note one way or the other.

It's all done in this system of singing through drones. He talks about doing it with perfectly tuned guitar strings. At this point I use the app TE tuner which can give you just tuned drones.

I went from having close to zero understanding of intonation to probably knowing a bit more than I need. I can say my intonation in general has improved markedly. And my general idea of music has gone up too.

It definitely is a bit of a time commitment to go through but I just did a little at a time. I've only done the first third of the book, at some point I'd like to go back and finish it.

Highly recommended.
Jeremy Reeves

Batavia, IL, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 6:10 am    

Yes! Fantastic book. I love it too
Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2019 6:34 am    

Thanks for posting Jeremy. On your recommendation I bought the book and have just started to go through it. I love this author's approach!