The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Matchbox 7A
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 1:12 am    

I acquired a brand new Matchbox 7A a few months ago, and although I'm not real big on outboard effects, I've kind of gotten to wear I use it all the time - I like what it does to the tone.

I am experiencing one hitch with it though, maybe someone has run into before: Sometimes, especially when the Hilton pedal is in a lower volume position, if I attack the strings aggressively, I get this crunchy, static sound at the point of attack (or when the strings are plucked, in other words). Anyone ran into this before?

I use very little gain, it sits between 9 and 10 o'clock, and the tone sits between 2 and 3 o'clock.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 2:01 am    

Battery in Matchbox?

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 3:57 am    

Yes, it has two. Maybe I'll try changing them but I wouldn't think they needed it yet. Thanks Jack

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 4:23 am    

Most Goodrich devices do not have a power on/off switch and thus if its sitting with a guitar cord plugged in (usually to the IN jack) its drawing power.

Have you tried this without the Matchbox just to see if you get the same thing?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 5:36 am    

The 7A has an on/off switch.
Erv

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 8:08 am    

Yes, Mine has the switch, which I have been very diligent about cutting off when not playing. And yes, it goes away when I take the Matchbox out of the signal path. I'm going to try the batteries when I get a chance, but I think Erv (I believe) told me that they should last a long time if I cut the switch of. Maybe the batts were old to begin with.

I've really become addicted to the thing, but I have to watch my settings so it doesn't become too harsh in the high end - I like it trebly. I seem to use a lot less of the range of the Hilton with it inline, which gives me headroom I may never have to use, but is there if I want it. When I take it out, and just go Hilton to Twin, I feel I loose a lot of dynamics.