The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Advise on My Roland Cube 80
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2019 10:37 am    

I did a gig recently with it and when I powered it up...all of the effects were on and the knobs did nothing to shut them off.
In a panic, I plugged a guitar cable into the footswitch jack, shorted the cable, and the effects shut off.
Now that doesn't seem to work. I do not own a footswitch that matches the Cube

any ideas

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 1:18 am     Re: Need Advise on My Roland Cube 80

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
I did a gig recently with it and when I powered it up...all of the effects were on and the knobs did nothing to shut them off.
In a panic, I plugged a guitar cable into the footswitch jack, shorted the cable, and the effects shut off.
Now that doesn't seem to work. I do not own a footswitch that matches the Cube

any ideas

Hi Chris, not sure I can diagnose why you had the problem to begin with, but...

...on my Cube 60 amps, (and in the Cube 80XL Owners manual I just looked at online) the footswitches trigger the On & Off functions for effects by BREAKING the circuit, not COMPLETING it...in other words, the switch "Polarity" (Roland/Boss's terminology, not mine) must be set to "Normally Closed".

The fact that you were able to trigger a change by shorting (presumably) between the tip & the shell seems to be at odds with what would be expected, and it makes me wonder whether:-

A) The contacts in the footswitch jack on the back of the amp have somehow become loose and/or broken (remember these jacks are soldered directly to a circuit board, and the plastic outer nuts quite often become loose, fall off, and leave the jack basically subject to more movement than was planned)

and / or

B) The 'logic' in the controller within the circuit board has for some reason become disturbed...maybe a voltage spike (?) .....in any case this needs some research.

BTW, the Roland jack nuts have a unique thread pitch and diameter, and DO NOT interchange with 'normal' commercially available items.....

HTH

Peter