The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music
Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 1:40 pm    

I got cd suggestions from Amazon today and one of the artists is Tim Culpepper, song is Pouring whiskey on pain. What an awesome country song! Listened to cuts on that album and all were excellent country music. Fiddle, pedal steel, dobro, telecaster what more can you ask for...but I have never heard of him...how does this happen?
Dennis

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 4:28 pm    

Dennis, there are dozens, probably hundreds, out there who we never hear of. I had a song or two of Tim Culpepper's bookmarked but the YouTube video was removed.

Sometimes if you search youtube for a popular song by others, you will turn up something. "Silver Wings Cover" for example. Also, always scroll down the suggestions along the right hand side. Quite often you will either find the same song by a different artist, or other songs by the same artist you have up. Don't overlook foreign artists - Norway, Holland...and the French Canadians have some fantastic artists as well.

Last suggestion is that when you find some artist you like on YouTube, click on the name of the person who posted the video. Often this will lead to more songs by the same artist.

And then there are places like reverbnation, sound cloud, etc..... happy hunting!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 12:00 am    

Trad Country has become like trad blues - the themes and the sound have been etched in stone, and if artists want to go for it, there is a path. For fans, it’s a niche market and you have to seek it out, like Don R said in his post. Napster and SiriusXM are my sources for mainstream alternatives.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 2:52 am    

I have been searching lots of new music lately, the other problem around here in Ohio is that there are no places to go here some real country music live anymore. My stepdad used to play out every weekend but nobody but country rockers out here now. I like some of it but sure like to go to a place and have a few slow dances with my wife to good old country song! Don't want to line dance...want to slow dance "you get to the other side without going around" slow dance as my grandpa used to say! I miss watching a talented steel man play in person!

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2019 3:08 am    

For that matter any Ohio forum members that know of a club or honkyTonk style place to go hear some pedal steel country music please forward information. I'm 65 so I don't want to have to fight my way out of rough place...lol..! Want to sit, relax, have a few bourbons, hear some real country and dance with my wife!

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 4:37 pm    

For top notch steel, twin fiddles that really sing, and the best upright bass you'll hear, seek out Jake Hooker the Outsiders. They're as trad as it gets and unsurpassed in quality. And yea, I'm super biased!!

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 1:59 pm    

You got that right Ford, jakes band is right on it! Don't have anyplace in Ohio to go for dancing and listening like those videos show!