The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter tone
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 5:48 am    

I don't play at high volume so I have more than ample volume. Just using channel 1 preamp. Channel 1 gain at 5 and master at 7.

But, I've seen other posts here and on FB about some with volume problems. Maybe the early production run(s)??

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 6:21 am    

I'm at least liking the fact that Pat Quilter says it's not the amp, it's just me,,, so I can at least sell it.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 6:32 am    

My amp also exhibited a lot of white noise, a problem that was fixed in later releases but earlier ones were offered no repairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 8:21 am    

Richard, it is not you it is the amp design ( or possible production fault). Jack mine is not an early one, my daughter picked it up from the factory about two years ago. Quilter seem to be doing an ostrich impersonation and burying their head in sand over this one.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 1:57 pm    

I'm surprised Quilter is leaving you hanging. There are a few problems reported on the Quilter FB page, that I've seen but they have been handled by Quilter.

My Steelaire Rack amp was purchased (new) in the fall of 2018. Not sure when it was made.

Soon after I got the amp, I did an outside gig that was not miked. I couldn't keep up with the Lead Guitar and his 20 watt Fender tube amp or the Bass. I had channel 1 and master at max. I switched to both channels and blew the guitar player away.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 2:28 pm    

I am surprised as well because Quilter has always been sterling as far as customer support for me.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 2:41 pm    

Jim, you have already seen the answer from Pat in my earlier post, I emailed Chris Park asking if there was a mod to cure this problem but did not receive a reply. I agree with you that up until this my perception of Quilter customer service was good, now I would not buy any of their products, and would advise anyone who asks about them not to get Quilter gear. I regard this as a major mistake on my part for wasting $900 on this unit, I am stuck with it as there is no way anyone who has read about this saga is going to buy it off me, nor would I be happy selling something I regard as substandard to anyone else.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 3:57 pm    

If mine doesnt do what I need this weekend,,it wont bother me at all to let someone else love it. Very Happy ,,just like the SE200 I'll be selling. Jack Stoner??,,haha,,you tried to tell me.

Robert Weeks

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 4:36 pm    

Error

Last edited by Robert Weeks on 8 May 2019 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 5:28 pm    

No problems at all with the communication with them,,It's the "you just need to turn it wide open" and not acknowledging there is an actual problem with some of these amps. Not mine though,,,It's fine Very Happy

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 7:39 pm    

I've not heard of this problem before and they do get quite loud although there was a time that there was a suspected problem only to find out that there was an effect in the chain that was choking the volume- easily discovered by going direct from the guitar to the amp bypassing all intermediate sources of potential problems. Perhaps have you considered trying someone else's SteelAire or sending yours back to have it evaluated- there's always the possibility that yours might have a problem?

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 10:49 pm    

Jim, I have tried all the obvious things, no pedals, effect and. Volume, different pedals, different leads, different guitars, all showing no improvement. When I use my MB200 alongside the Steelaire it seems a hell of a lot louder than the Steelaire . I am surprised you had not seen the previous posts here on forum, there were quite a few of us with similar problems. What really annoys me is that not one single member of Quilter has said “ sorry you are having a problem, what can we do to help” . I do not consider “ just crank” it up” to be very good customer service, considering it was already cranked up.Being over in U.K. means it is not financially feasible to ship it back to them to be checked, not that they even suggested this.as far as trying another Steelaire, I believe I have the first and only steeliaire in Scotland, although there is I believe a couple in Ireland..

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 1:55 am    

I own one of the first 50 built which I purchased new and volume is definitely not an issue with the one I own. I have never had to turn the master above 7-8 with the volumes no more than 5-6. I do use both channels. I have used mine for outdoor events without a problem and have also played a number of shows in large rooms seating over 500. That being said, I would suspect there is definitely a problem with your amp. In my music room, the master is on 5 and the volumes are on 2-3 and if you floor the volume pedal, you had better have ear protection. I hope you can resolve the issue you are having, it is not normal.

Last edited by Morton Kellas on 9 May 2019 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 2:28 am    

Thanks Morton.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 6:21 am    

I have seen the other posts. What I was saying after having dealt with 40-50 of the SteelAires is that I've not had the volume problem that you describe. I did experience early on the bit of "white noise" which has since been rectified by Quilter and in my experience Quilter customer customer service has been exceptional. I might suggest that you ring them up. Also you might consider using the XLR out into the PA if you are really having to crank the heck outta the amp to be heard if it is determined that the amp has no problems.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 8:09 am    

It's my understanding that Scotland is a 230v 50hz electrical grid. Just my thoughts but either a different transformer is on his quilter or he uses a conversation device. That may be the difference in your output volume compared to a USA unit. Since we operate on 120v and 60hz our amps will operate differently. Just my 2 cents.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 9:02 am    

Jim, the majority of gigs over here don’t run through the PA, just the vocals , not the back line, on ones with PA capability I play with speaker at my side and use it as a monitor, even then it is fairly cranked up. I find myself not wishing to contact Quilter again as I know they are well aware of the problem and have just chosen to ignore it. Thanks for your input.
Larry, as far as I am aware it is the same transformer, there is a small mod on the U.K./EU models that I believe is to prevent ground hum, I did ask Quilter if this was a likely cause but they categorically said it wasn’t.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 9:05 am    

The thing about Quilter digital power amps is that they do not need a conversion device or changing of transformer. They adjust to the power grid automatically.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 7:12 pm    

Well,,I had to come on and tell whats happened. Took amp to practice Thursday night. A different guitar/pedal/pickup/and all cables. It was noticeably louder. I ran at about 5/6 all night and was sufficient. It is still a different type of power,but is looking better. Saturday night gig will be a great test. Dont know what the biggest change was. I have 3 pedals at home(a Hilton/L120/Omni) and D10 pre Royal. At the practice location was my gigging Hilton,and a Newer Desert Rose.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 7:36 pm    

Problem Solved.

I added an Electro Harmonix Knockout Attack Equalizer, and it provides plenty of fullness/ depth and a little bit of warmth to the sound.

Pete Nicholls, you were right. All the difference in the world compared to my Steelaire's native sound.

$50 through Reverb, BTW.

Jim

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 8:16 pm    

Problem Solved.

I added an Electro Harmonix Knockout Attack Equalizer, and it provides plenty of fullness/ depth and a little bit of warmth to the sound. All the difference in the world compared to my Steelaire's natural sound.

$50 through Reverb.

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 1:21 pm    

Well,I played a 4hr gig Saturday night. The amp did just fine. This place is loud and it kept up fine. Dont know yet if it has the sound my head is looking for, but there is definitely nothing wrong with the amp. Still have to figure out what was wrong or different with the first setup.

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2019 7:31 am    

I tried out a Quilter Steelaire one weekend, convinced I would love it. Tone-wise it was fine, but I found the gain stages different than the Peavey amps I'm used to, and it was necessary to play farther forward on the volume pedal in order for it to get enough juice. Uncomfortable with that, I switched to a PV Session 115, and it suits me better.
- John

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 6:59 pm    

I love my Steelaire, everything from the look , tone options, and especially the weight. However I will say with the Neo-eminence speaker (stock) in their, you have a very mid range tone. It is a very modern sounds that’s not bad. I have a allumitone pickup on my uni- BMI. The speaker gets a little “shrill” on the high ends. After talking with Cowboy Eddie long this week , I will be changing out my stock speaker with a 15’ Ted Webber speaker. Prob the “California “ model . Anyone have anything to say about the Webber’s ?

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2019 10:14 pm    

My Quilter suits me just fine. I don’t understand playing so loud that dynamics and feeling is covered up. I run both channels at 3 or 3 1/2 and master about 2 o’clock and have about 1/4 travel in reserve on the volume pedal. I like everything about my Steelaire.
If you are lacking power with a Steelaire I suggest contacting the company.
Jerry