The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with Rev or Power Amp?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 9:59 pm    

This only happens during the first 15 minutes after start up. The power drops and is distorted and does this intermittently. After 15 minutes it works fine the rest of the night. I used to have a similar problem with my Session 400's, but it was usually the molex connections on the circuit boards. I'd whack it on the top and it would come back on. Tried tapping on the side of my rack case and got no results. I checked the plug connections on the Revelation and on the Carvin HT400 and all good. Does this sound similar to a tube in the Rev or a connection inside the Carvin?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 2:16 am    

A "warm up" problem generally is a tube. That would be the first thing to replace and see if it fixes it.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 9:53 am    

If the Rev is doing this, your symptoms may point to the heater circuit being intermittent, could be a tube itself, or it could be something in the tube heater supply in the Rev. If the heaters are intermittent, that can make the tubes cool off, get distorted and quiet/muted and then come back on. The guy who solders those Rev's has been known to make a mistake now and then. Smile

If you'd like me to take a look at it, send me an email and we can arrange that.

Brad

sarnomusic@gmail.com

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 7:39 pm    

I switched the center tube out today and ran it for about 10 minutes. It did the same thing, but only for a second. So, I'm thinking the center tube wasn't the problem. The two outside tubes are matching nos that have been in there for about 2 years. I have to play a job tomorrow (Saturday), so I'll have more time to let it show symptoms.
Yes, I may just send it to you and have you check it out. I should also try it through a different power amp and eliminate that possibility? I don't know if there are any common problems like this with the Carvin HT400?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 4:36 pm    

Check the Revelation with the line outs or the headphone out while not using the power amp.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 1 May 2019 5:21 am    

It's the Carvin HT-400 and not the Rev. The left channel finally went from intermittent to continual distortion. The cost to repair is probably more than it's worth. I purchased a Crown XLS1002 to replace it.