The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trace Elliott ELF user settings
Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 5:26 pm    

I’ve been using the ELF for a few months now and am pleased with how it’s been working. I just wired up a new Travis Toy TT-12 speaker and look forward to breaking that in and see what kind of improvement I get.

Any other ELF owners care to share their gain, EQ, and master settings? I’ll post mine after I’ve lived with the new speaker a bit.

Bill

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 5:50 pm    

I'm curious, too.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 6:11 pm    

Is Elf is a bass amplifier?
Is a bass amp preferable to a guitar amp for pedal steel?

Thanks
K

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 6:55 pm    

Yes, Kristen. The ELF is marketed as a bass amplifier. Many in the steel guitar community have gravitated towards lightweight, high powered bass amps that let you adjust the tone with amp or preamp settings and provide clean, even frequency response unlike many non-steel guitar amps. Plus, they are relatively inexpensive and compact.

Bill

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 7:21 pm    

I really like mine, I'm using an Eminence 2112 Neo speaker in a closed back enclosure, and a Zoom G3 ahead of it for effects.

Gain - 10 o'clock
Bass - 4 o'clock
Mid - 3 o'clock
Treble - 9 o'clock
Volume - varies - at 10 o'clock right now
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 2:21 am    

I tried one, too "sterile" and couldn't find a setting that would work for me with Pedal Steel.

By contrast I have an MB200 (my wife now uses for rhythm guitar) and had a Carvin Bass amp and they both work for steel.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 5:10 am    

Everyone's ears hear sound differently, this amp works fine for me. The effects units ahead of it can make a lot of difference in the overall sound, I've used a LOT of different ones and the Zoom G3 is the best I've found in a long time. My favorite for a lot of years was a Digitech 2112, but they are extremely had to find and are large, the G3 fits into a small gig bag and is easier to carry. The Elf will fit in the compartment on the front of the bag, making an extremely lightweight, transportable rig.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 8:19 am    

Has anyone pair the Elf with a nice preamp or EQ? Results??

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 9:56 am     Trace Elliott Elf settings

UPS has one for me, somewhere between TN and CT. Scheduled delivery on Tuesday. I am buying it to throw into my gig bag for backup. It would be great if it can replace my Evans pre-amp into my Stereo Steel, but that's asking an awfully lot. I will post my impression next week. It should be fine for my intended use.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 11:43 am    

John, on Bob’s recommendation, I just picked up one of these Tech21 parametric EQs. http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/qstrip.html

I will let you know how it works out for me. Here’s my signal path:

Dekley S10/Matchbox with volume and tone/ MXR Carbon Copy delay/TC HOF Reverb/QStrip EQ/ELF/ Travis Toy TT-12.

Bill

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 3:25 am    

I've had my Elf several months now and really like it. I agree with Jack it can sound a little sterile on its own. Black Box solved that problem as far as settings it will depend on the speaker you are using. I've tried 12 and 15 from a few different MFG. with a wide range of different sound. The best sound IMHO a 15" JBL D-130 great lows smooth highs but the setting are quite different with different speakers.

The effects will also vary your settings slightly.

Barry

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 5:59 am     Trace Elliott Elf settings

Barry, maybe great minds think alike. You and I have EXACTLY the same rig, now that I see you are also using aJBL D-130. I am eager to give mine a whirl when it arrives on Tuesday.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 12:02 pm    

Hi George as I said the D-130 really sounds great the other speakers I tried sounded good too but the JBL was sweet. I know I will need to be carful because the old JBL's were never intended to handle 200 Watts but for smaller venues practice and the like its great.

Barry