The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hanohano Hawai‘i
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 6:10 am    

One of my favorite tunes on the tapa room tapes of the Hawaiian Village Serenaders is their rendition of Hanohano Hawaii (recorded elsewhere, such as by Sol Ho'opi'i as Sweet Lei Lehua...but not the Sweet Lei Lehua David Kalakaua wrote...boy it gets confusing!):

https://archive.org/details/TapaRoomTapes/07+Hanohano+Hawaii.mp3

Jules is just fantastically inspired on those solos, fills and vamps.  As a bit of a challenge to myself, I'd someday to sit and work it all out note for note...not that playing obviously improvised solos note for note is that great of an idea musically speaking, but just to explore what he was doing and learn from his technique...  I'm reasonably convinced that's him singing the leads as well.  You can tell by the timbre of his voice as well as how he stops playing except for the ending vamps when he sings (usually he's in there backing the singing with fills otherwise).

My question, if anyone wants to venture a guess...what tuning is he using here?  There isn't a lot of dissonance on the chords so I'm inclined to rule out B11.  I know he did a lot of jamming on E13, but my best guess because of how a lot of the vamps end on a "top third" kind of sound (brushed harmonics so not likely a slant unless he was more of a wizard than I thought, ha!).  Would you guys agree that this sounds like C13?

If I ever dedicate the time to get this done though I will definitely tab it out and post, but it'll be quite a lengthy project I'm sure. Smile