The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8 ohm Speaker in a 4 Ohm Hybrid Peavey Artist 240 Amp
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 8:04 pm    

Can someone tell me if it's OK to put an 8-ohm speaker into a 4-ohm Peavey Artist 240 amp?

The Peavey Artist 240 owners manual shows the power ratings into 8, 4, and 2 ohms, so I guess it would be OK. This should be the final authority on the subject.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/121177/Peavey-Artist-240.html

I have heard some say it's OK to use an 8 ohm speaker in a 4 ohm SOLID STATE amp with no issues. I've also heard that this is not the case for a tube amp--you can go down but not up.

So what's the deal with a HYBRID amp? The Peavey Artist 240 has a solid state front end and tube power section. I think it should be OK to use an 8-ohm speaker in the Artist 240. What are some of your thoughts on this subject?

My plan is to run a 200-watt EVM 15B in this amp.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 11 May 2019 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 6:08 am    

Yes, other than causing a slight loss in power, the 8 ohm speaker will work fine, and the EVM-B is a great speaker as long as you don't want crystal-sharp highs. I'm assuming you already have the amp, but bear in mind it's not designed for pedal steel. If it gives you the tone you want, all is well. But since it doesn't have a mid-shift control, it's simply not as versatile as an amp with a shift control.

The amp being hybrid is a moot point because only the tube output section "sees" the speaker.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 7:30 am     240

Thanks Donny! As always, I appreciate your wealth of knowledge, experience, and expertise in a variety of topics.

I have an Artist VT that is very bright. I put an EVM 15L in this amp to warm it up. I anticipate the 240 will be warmer due to discreet transistors instead of opamps. However, I'm betting the 240 will be a bright amp too. Therefore, the decision to go with the EVM 15B (bass). The specs on the EVM 15B speaker shows a frequency response of 50-5,000 Hz which is better than a lot of speakers designed for steel (that seem to roll-off at around 2-2.5K).

I'm going to run the 240 and VT together in stereo. That should sound awesome for headroom---200-240 watts of hybrid tube power. Overkill? Yes! Should sound great in my 10' X 10' music room...Very Happy

Donny: would a 7-band equalizer in a pedal help with not having a shift control on the amp?

Don

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 2:26 pm    

Yes, if you don't have a mid-shift control, an outboard graphic EQ will help with tailoring the response. By the way, though the literature does say it has a response to 5khz, it starts rolling off long before that. The response at 5khz is down by over 15db, so it's not in line with a lot of lead guitar speakers that have a flatter curve.

I have the 15" EV bass speakers in two of my amps, and I think they're one of the best speakers ever made. Keep in mind that they're ungodly heavy, though, weighing over 20 lbs. Whoa!