The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G. Strait - I Just Want to Dance With You
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 5:51 am    

I'm quite sure Paul Franklin played steel on this song but I am curious about the equipment used. The tone sounds more lap steel to me but I don't think it is. I can get a tone somewhat similar by picking the strings nearer to my bar hand than usual, but it still doesn't quite sound like what's on the recording. Can anyone fill in the particulars of that piece. It's a beautiful song and the steel work is sublime.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 7:53 am    

Do you use a Franklin guitar? If I remember correctly (probably not), I think I read somewhere that Paul used a Mesa Boogie preamp in the studio. Can you reproduce the processing that goes into the song after the recording is done?

Equipment selection and the final processing of the song all play a part in the sound. And that is not even considering the players abilities.

Good luck in your quest. Paul us the only steel guitar player listed in the credits for that album..

Hopefully Paul will chime in here. It would be nice to know the particulars.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:26 am    

No Richard, I’ve got a Mullen G2 but the tone Paul has on that song doesn’t sound like the traditional Franklin sound to me. I’d love to nail that lap steel feel, even if I’ll never get the execution to Paul’s level.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 9:36 am    

Bill Miller wrote:
No Richard, I’ve got a Mullen G2 but the tone Paul has on that song doesn’t sound like the traditional Franklin sound to me. I’d love to nail that lap steel feel, even if I’ll never get the execution to Paul’s level.

I agree. For years I thought it was someone else, maybe Sonny Garrish. IIRC, I did look it up on discogs or allmusic which did credit Paul Franklin on pedal steel.

Great licks there, If I practice if for a while I can just about get there. Then I lose my chops on it if I don't play it for a while.

Some sweet stuff there.

Tim Hurst

Newport, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 8:57 am    

If I remember correctly, when Paul Franklin, Sr. had a triple neck Franklin steel on display one year at the ISGC in St. Louis, he told me one of the necks had a baritone tuning and that Paul Jr. used one like it on that George Strait song. Maybe Paul would be so kind as to enlighten us.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 2:38 pm    

Quote:
one of the necks had a baritone tuning and that Paul Jr. used one like it on that George Strait song

Hmm, well that may account for the particular tone. It seems to be played well within the range of a normal e9th guitar but if it's some sort of extended scale like baritone then it makes sense that the tone would be different. It's a very desirable tone to my ears. It reminds me of sounds I've heard from some old non-pedal guitars. Could be some studio magic going on too.

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:23 pm    

Is that tune on the new CD? I know Paul played a new 10 string
Lap steel on one cut. Could be that one.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:43 pm    

Larry Robbins wrote:
Is that tune on the new CD? I know Paul played a new 10 string
Lap steel on one cut. Could be that one.

Nope. Old song.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 5:45 pm    

No Larry, this was released way back in 1998 on the 'One Step at a Time' album.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2019 12:44 pm    

According to Paul:

My metal front blue guitar straight into the Mesa dry. The triple neck was used on “I Hope You Dance” and on “Half Past Little Rock” by Womack.

And on one song, a ballad which I cant remember the title which sounds like my normal tone used for George Strait.

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2019 5:23 pm    

Thanks for the info John...and Paul. I wish I could get that sound. It's real mellow and warm.

Franklin

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2019 10:21 pm    

Bill you can...How to manipulate your tone without using effects is in the Modern steel module......
PF

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 6:53 am    

Paul I certainly don't doubt that your courses are worth the investment and maybe I will try that some time. Historically I haven't had much success with sticking to instructional materials and that's why I haven't taken the plunge as yet. These would be the ones I'd go with alright.

Franklin

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 8:54 am    

Bill,
Sorry I thought you were in the PFM which is why I pointed you in that direction....There is so much tonality in the right and left hands that players can manipulate...You can't follow the past technique directions and get there because technique has evolved since it was first taught as "Palm Blocking"or "Pick Blocking" only....
....Hope you join us someday!
Paul

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2019 2:52 pm    

Thanks Paul, maybe I’ll look into it next winter when things are quiet and there’s more time. I’ve just about got that four note roll nailed down....which is the main hook in the song for me. And I get fairly close to the tone by tracking the bar and trying to always pick the notes exactly halfway between the bar and the changer. Of course close is only good playing horseshoes.