The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picking hand placement
Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 10:22 am    

In watching a number of videos I have noticed that some lap steels have a prime spot to rest the picking hand: a meaty bridge or even a pickup cover. Others do not have these features and the player seems to hover or use only the pinky to support the hand. Is it harder on the hand w/o these features? In choosing a guitar, especially one you can't try out, should one consider this an issue?

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 10:57 am    

The majority of steel players find pickup covers and other such "palm rests" to be more of a hindrance than a positive feature. They impede your ability to block (mute) the strings with your palm, and just generally get in the way.

On most guitars, though, they are easily removable.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 11:41 am    

One thing to keep in mind is that the position of your picking hand relative to the bridge/neck can determine a lot of your tone. I find it best to not rely on any one physical part of the instrument for support, but rather to seek the tone I'm after and play there. Whatever palm and pick blocking methods you develop will help support your hand.

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 1:54 pm    

Thanks so much, very helpful!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 4:54 pm    

Yeah, it's all about the tone...got to keep the picking hand mobile and not dependent on a fixed position/rest. As your bar moves, the center of your stopped string moves. My teacher gets on my case a lot for picking either too close to the bridge, or on a few occasions at high frets, too close to the bar. If you want a rich, full tone (particularly for Hawaiian music), hug the middle.

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 8:38 pm    

Thanks Nic!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 8:41 pm    

It's interesting to look at how banjo and dobro players play (maybe it's only interesting to me because I played those before lap steel). Banjo players tend to plant ring and/or pinky fingers on the head, a lot of dobro players do plant heel of hand on the hand rest over bridge

Further if you watch a lot of banjo picking hands, you'll see people pick w/finger perpendicular to strings or 45 degrees to them, with the wrist bend down or up, all kinds of positions. So people get comfortable all different ways

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 5:18 am    

I actually remove the hand rests, pickup covers or whatever you might call it to enable complete control over the strings. As far as I’m concerned, every element of picking influences tone and so it is with that in mind that I choose how or where pick each note. I frequently rest my hand on the strings but also like to free float when I doing some heavy picking. In that case, I rely more on blocking or stopping individual notes with my fingers. I am careful to not let notes ring into each other unless it’s something I need. Good picking technique takes a lot of work but really pays off in the end, and I’m not just talking about playing fast.

I also curl my pinky under when I play rather than extend it because it is what is comfortable for me. Do what works for you.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 12:25 pm    

Interesting about the pinky Mike. I can only play if the pinky is fully extended. I have real control over it

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 7:47 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
It's interesting to look at how banjo and dobro players play (maybe it's only interesting to me because I played those before lap steel). Banjo players tend to plant ring and/or pinky fingers on the head, a lot of dobro players do plant heel of hand on the hand rest over bridge

Further if you watch a lot of banjo picking hands, you'll see people pick w/finger perpendicular to strings or 45 degrees to them, with the wrist bend down or up, all kinds of positions. So people get comfortable all different ways

I play banjo as well, although clawhammer style (main instrument is bass, upright and electric) and my hand doesn’t really anchor anywhere, but my arm stays in the same place on the rim.

Really appreciate all the thoughtful responses!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 8:53 am    

Quote:
Banjo players tend to plant ring and/or pinky fingers on the head, a lot of dobro players do plant heel of hand on the hand rest over bridge

I play both - plus lap and pedal steel, 6 string guitar, mandolin and other instruments.

I don't plant my hand in one position on any instrument. For both dynamic (picking power) and tonal reasons I move my hand quite a bit between bridge and fretboard.

A "locked hand" position is both tonally and dynamically limiting.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 8:17 pm    

I enjoy clawhammer too, gets you used to lots of alternate tunings if you're in books like Perlamn, Levenson, Rosenbaum.

Non pedal steel is complicated, people are playing 6 strings, 10, bullet and Stevens bars, all styles and tunings etc so you have to find what's ergonomic and sounds good for you. I started by watching Troy B's youtube excerpts and they're great examples, except I disliked picking so close to the bridge. There's lots of other good example videos Cindy Cashdollar, Andy Hall, Doug Beaumier and Mike Neer who're active on this forum.

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2019 5:44 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
Banjo players tend to plant ring and/or pinky fingers on the head

On both guitar and steel I have a "home" position with all strings muted. On my Les Paul there's a mark about the size of a dime where my pinky nail has dug an indentation in the plastic guard. Similarly on the steel; home position with all strings muted. FWIW, when I switched from pinky out to pinky under my steel playing improved. Your mileage may vary.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2019 6:24 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
I actually remove the hand rests, pickup covers or whatever you might call it to enable complete control over the strings.

In general I agree but sometimes the cover is part of the shielding, or in the case of some pickups, the magnetic field itself.

Jay Keuper

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 4:30 am    

Thanks again for all these interesting comments!