The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA refinishing project
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 7:16 am    

Well I got a new toy this weekend! A D10 MSA , 8 pedals - 4 knees . The mechanics seem good , but the finish is bad . Was once emerald green. Not sure about the year. If someone has any ideas , give me a shout. I’ve never seen another with the small “Super Sustan” logos on the necks . The previous owner thinks around ‘76 . I’ll need to locate new decals , and probably a complete vertical knee lever . And probably add real inlays on body and necks .

Any ideas and hints appreciated.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 9:05 am    

David,

What you are referring to as "Decals" is actually applied using the silk screen process. Everything you see including the fret board was silk screened onto the individual components. I spoke to Reese, before he passed, at one of the Dallas shows about possibly purchasing the original screens but he told me that they were long gone. (As they had shut down MSA in the mid '80's)

Once you sand all of those components to bare wood, those details cannot be replaced.

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 10:28 am    

I'd guess it's a mid '77 model. As far as refinishing, I'd just do a very light sanding to remove the wax and gloss, and then re-coat it with clear. As stated, if you sand off all those silkscreen details, you'll have to buy stick-on fretboards, have decals made, buy inlay and machine for it, etc. All that might make it look newer, but it wouldn't increase the value much, if at all.

Gerald Smith

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 1:01 pm     Msa

Hello, I have a connection with a local graphics shop, I did a MSA a while back, if you want I can send a pic of it, he made the MSA logo and the fretboards, he makes a lot of the logo for the old Fender guitars, I paid him 40 dollars for the 2 fretboards and ten for the MSA logo, you can stain the guitar then put or the MSA logo then clear it, its as good as the original, the fretborods go on after the guitar is finished, they are very thin and look wonderful. Thanks

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 4:00 pm    

Hi Micheal. I figured that much. I know a local guy that does decals for businesses vans and such. He might have an idea. I might need some parts from you tho in the future. Donny, thanks for the info on the year. As far as refinish. I know it`s a labor of love but I love working with wood. I`m a hardwood floor guy by trade. I`m not a collector so I do it for my pleasure. Around here steels are rare.Yeah Gerald, I`d love to see how you finished yours. Thanks for the reply's. The knowledge on this forum is amazing. I`ll keep adding photos as I move ahead.

Gerald Smith

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 4:58 pm     Msa

I will get you some pics tomorrow, could I get your E mail, I will send them from my phone, I am not too good with loading them on my computer. I don,t blame you for wanting to redo it, since you know refinishing, it will be a labor of love.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 7:22 am    

Well I got her all in pieces . Anybody have the owners manual? Lol

Hard to believe how a finish can fade . More to come , Dave

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 8:46 am    

David LeBlanc wrote:
Well I got her all in pieces . Anybody have the owners manual?

Here 'ya go:

http://steelguitar.com/manuals/MSA_OwnersManual.pdf

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 6:14 pm    

Hey Donny. Thank you so much. I was actually kidding as I took a lot of pictures to remember. But I had no idea an actual manual existed . That is way cool. Much appreciated.You guys are the best. Dave

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 4:15 pm    

Taking off the felt under the hood . Think I’ll just varnish after I’m finished. Does anyone know if there’s an advantage to natural or felt ? Thanks, Dave .

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 11:35 am    

I've seen two MSA SS' (owned one). Both used a sticker for the MSA logo.

Best looking:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=335422
There is some history but I'm pretty sure they used Vinyl for the SS and Supsersustain portion.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296589&highlight=blue+msa

I think they used auto-paint on this one.

FWIW talked to Mullen folks a while back. They suggested to ALWAYS keep Blue and Green Lacquer guitars out of light when stored (can just be a cover). I have a mint bright blue PRP that is amazing, but some similar era guitars are faded due to light. I believe Mullen at least changed their Lacquer recipe to not be sensitive.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 12:35 pm    

Well I decided to do a modification to the end plate on the changer side and file the honeycomb off and make a grill . After doing it I read more past post and decided to take it all out . Hope I did it right.

Dave

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 5:43 pm    

Thanks for the reply Jon. I love seeing different ideas. I do know how bad sunlight can be as I refinish hardwood floors. Best to not leave it in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Dave

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 6:22 pm    

very clean work, kudos!

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 1:37 am    

Hi Ross. Thank you so much. I am a fan of your steels. Talk about some nice work .Sierra`s look amazing. I hope to try one out some day. Thanks again, Dave.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 7:51 am    

Petaluma is a long way from New Brunswick, but you're certainly welcome to come test drive a new Sierra if you're ever out my way (SF bay area). That goes for all y'all. Give me a shout if you're passing through and are interested in seeing what the dang deal is with these rigs I build.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 12:55 pm    

Well I got the underside sanded and ready for clear coat. I decided to leave the front rail in place because it was stuck in old varnish and I noticed a fine hairline crack on the front. So I just cleaned the rail and will mask it when I coat it . I keep clamps on it because I’m afraid to hit it and split it open more . The front is really thin . Dave

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 8:04 am    

Well got a lot of the sanding done . Not the most beautiful bird eye maple but should be beautiful when all done . Dave

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 9:38 am    

Well after sitting on my bench I finally got around to work on the MSA.

I got the staining done . Now to coat with varnish.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 9:42 am    

I`ve been busy non stop with work and other projects. It`s long over due.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 9:46 am    

Instead of putting extra money in her I used a red stain I had laying around. I think the varnish will bring out more red. I`m thinking of going a semi-gloss. Something else I have laying around.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 12:27 pm    

First coat on !!

Mark Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 6:22 pm    

I have that exact same guitar, Even the same color, I believe it is early 80s. I rebuilt mine as well, but not nearly as far as you have gone. Mine stays in tune much better now.

Unfortunately I lost 2 years of learning in the rebuilding, but I learned a lot about the function of everything and that helps.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 10:27 am    

Hi Mark. I think you have the SS . I think it means super short. Not sure. But I think mine would be built longer. Yours being more sought after . Did you re-rod and everything. Yours looks all original. Would you mine showing a front pic. I`m planning on getting letters and stripes on the front and yours look different. The neck especially Looks nice.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 10:47 am    

I’m cleaning the changer today. Starting on the E9th. I’m at the no5 finger and it won’t move freely. I’m sure it will do some good . Can’t hurt I hope.