The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Did Buddy Emmons ruin the Pedal Steel?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:33 am    

Chris Walke wrote:
Wow. Degraded into another example of the kind folks and the jerks displaying their "discussion" talents on the forum.

75 responses in 3 days, some of them very thoughtful and lengthy. Is that degradation?

I do wonder how Buddy would have answered the question if it had been asked of him directly in an interview. I’m guessing with a laugh, get up and walk away.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:51 am     The Late Great Buddy Emmons.

I remember Buddy having a column in Guitar Player Magazine, that I never paid attention to. I had given up lap steel for guitar in 1959, and his column didn’t interest me at all. However, fast forward to Jan. ‘74, I bought my first pedal steel. Still didn’t pay any attention to Emmons, but Jerry Garcia, Pete Drake, and Weldon Myrick were who I tried to emulate. Today I’m a better player than I was back then, but Buddy didn’t have much to do with it. He did set the bar along with the players I mentioned for steel guitar as we know it. Even after all these years I don’t play like or anything close to any one of these men, but still enjoy getting to play and make a little extra spending money. Buddy Emmons was and still is an icon in our community.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 9:17 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:
Chris Walke wrote:
Wow. Degraded into another example of the kind folks and the jerks displaying their "discussion" talents on the forum.

Good description of what you just did.

Folks I'm talking about were singling out the OP. I didn't name anyone, but if you know who I'm referring to then I guess I'm not wrong. If you don't, re-read.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 9:18 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Chris Walke wrote:

75 responses in 3 days, some of them very thoughtful and lengthy. Is that degradation?

I do wonder how Buddy would have answered the question if it had been asked of him directly in an interview. I’m guessing with a laugh, get up and walk away.

I mentioned the kind folks. Can you tell the difference?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 9:52 am    

Chris Walke wrote:
Fred Treece wrote:
Chris Walke wrote:

I mentioned the kind folks. Can you tell the difference?

Hehe, that’s funny!
Chris, this was yet another case of me misreading or misunderstanding someone’s post, even after a proof reading. Apologies. This discussion is indeed exactly as you describe.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 10:06 am    

Buddy Emmons? Who's Buddy Emmons?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 10:13 am    

I think he's related to this guy:

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 10:34 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Chris Walke wrote:

Agreed - this was a good one! If I were Buddy - and spent so much of my life developing the instrument - I'd enjoy reading people putting even a small fraction of critical thought into my work as I had put into it.

And to be honest, I don't read this as being so much provocative towards Buddy Emmons as I do it being provocative towards the rest of us. He didn't put himself on the throne - we did.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 11:15 am    

Curt Trisko wrote:
Fred Treece wrote:
Chris Walke wrote:

Agreed - this was a good one! If I were Buddy - and spent so much of my life developing the instrument - I'd enjoy reading people putting even a small fraction of critical thought into my work as I had put into it.

And to be honest, I don't read this as being so much provocative towards Buddy Emmons as I do it being provocative towards the rest of us. He didn't put himself on the throne - we did.

That's what I mean. Some folks were acting like the Tim insulted their wives or mothers.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 11:24 am    

that's it statement made, opened discussion, everyone has chance to voice opinion! Everyone gets chance to respond......this is America ladies and gentlemen you get to voice your opinion and you have the right to have an opinion!
GOD BLESS AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE!

Tim Sheinman

Brighton, UK
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 11:27 am    

Dennis Brion wrote:
that's it statement made, opened discussion, everyone has chance to voice opinion! Everyone gets chance to respond......this is America ladies and gentlemen you get to voice your opinion and you have the right to have an opinion!
GOD BLESS AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE!

Here Here!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 11:39 am    

Please close.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 11:57 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Please close.

Why??
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 12:21 pm    

Buddy inspired Multi-Kord players the world over.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 12:39 pm    

Ohhh Boy... Eric West reincarnated

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 12:41 pm    

I know nothing but have big opinions.

I confess that the majority of Emmons’ playing I’ve heard leaves me cold (despite understanding he helped define the instrument).

But then this particular clip. I’ve watched approx 9000 times over the last couple months and think it’s such an astounding musical performance. Total genius.

But I haven’t found much that feels similar to me.

https://youtu.be/qnEMOQTh27s

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 12:51 pm    

It would seem be to me that Buddy Emmons doesn't deserved to be singled out like this.

Now if you were to have titled it (Did Nashville ruin the Pedal Steel?) that would make for some more interesting discussions.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 12:59 pm    

Chris,
Yes, especially when he isn't here to defend himself. Whoa!
Erv

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 1:00 pm    

Paul McEvoy wrote:

I confess that the majority of Emmons’ playing I’ve heard leaves me cold (despite understanding he helped define the instrument).

But then this particular clip. I’ve watched approx 9000 times over the last couple months and think it’s such an astounding musical performance. Total genius.

I doubt that you're alone. But keep in mind for those players not enamored with Buddy Emmons, the body of pedal steel music that you are enamored with is probably derivative of his work.

I remember having a similar conversation with a coworker about Prince after he died. I was surprised by the outpouring and to learn just how famous and well-respected he actually was. In my mind, he was an artifact of the 80s whose music and style didn't especially stand out from other artists I knew. The coworker, who is a generation older than me, pointed out that the reason it didn't stand out was because so many subsequent artists were either inspired by him or just plain copied him.

Bringing this thought back full-circle, steel guitar didn't begin or end with Buddy Emmons. Getting in that mindset is the path to irrelevance - but on the flip-side, being aware of the roots tells you which way is forward as opposed to just going sideways.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 1:48 pm    

For the record I have just come to terms with not appreciating things that I’m supposed to I don’t doubt their genius but it’s meaningless to me. And saying it is sort of ridiculous but the list is long.

Beethoven
Mozart
99% of Brahms
Prince (I feel likewise)

Those are some big ones. I’m probably not worthy to eat their leftover sandwiches but I’m too dumb to realize it.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 1:50 pm    

People have commented about this Prince solo being especially notable. And it’s cool.

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 2:29 pm    

Paul McEvoy wrote:

That's a great clip! What was Ernest shouting about Shot Jackson in the middle of Buddy's solo? Couldn't quite catch it.

Buddy always looked so relaxed as he pulled out those incredible licks - pickin' and grinnin'. His stage presence was something that few players could pull off. Like Jeff Newman or Joe Wright, he was a showman. Most steel players are expressionless until the end of the song, like Jimmy Day. Alien Alien Alien Mr. Green

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 2:41 pm    

b0b wrote:
Paul McEvoy wrote:

That's a great clip! What was Ernest shouting about Shot Jackson in the middle of Buddy's solo? Couldn't quite catch it.

Buddy always looked so relaxed as he pulled out those incredible licks - pickin' and grinnin'. His stage presence was something that few players could pull off. Like Jeff Newman or Joe Wright, he was a showman. Most steel players are expressionless until the end of the song, like Jimmy Day. Alien Alien Alien Mr. Green

I know but why can’t I find more stuff like that? It’s so amazing.

Someone commented before he’s saying something about a “shot Jackson lick” but I can’t here it totally.

It’s truly a remarkable performance. You could create a BE fan if you could point me towards some more like that.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 2:52 pm    

Of you want to be impressed go to playpedalsteel.com and watch buddy on the players videos page in a top hat....you talk about lightning....and free style this video is incredible sorry I don't know how to post it here. Really hope everyone checks this video out! If so.done can post it here everyone will enjoy watching!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 3:15 pm    

That ain't no top hat - it's a bowler. Razz

https://www.fashionablehats.com/top-hat-vs-bowler/