The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Problems
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 12:39 pm    

Just recently put on a request on how to properly set the pot on a volume pedal.That said i thought i had it figured out, i adjusted it and at home seemed ok.Today i played at a gig and i had to turn up the gain and master volume of the amp to get any decent volume.Finally unhooked the pedal and went straight to my delay pedal then to the amp,then it worked as always. The normal amp setting was gain at 3 and master volume at 4,5 at the most.With volume pedal had to set gain at 5-6 and master at 8,even then did not perform as it should ..HELP ANYONE..
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 12:23 pm     volume pedal

I just rewired the pedal ,and the volume is back but has very little taper.If you hook up the two outer wires on a pot ,will that make a difference?When i tested the pot with an ohm meter ,the pot showed connection ,when turned all the way one way,3rd terminal did not read.Is that the terminal that should be the ground? Any and all suggestions welcome.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 12:32 pm    

A typical pot's center terminal to either leg determine the amount of resistance, (or lack of it.)

Eric Gross

Perkasie PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 4:27 pm    

Hi Carl,

When the pedal is all the way, you should get full volume. This is the point that the pot should measure 0 Ohms. If you cannot get normal volume, then the pot is not at 0 Ohms when the pedal is all the way. (I say all the way because depending how you wire it, full volume could be all the way up or all the way down). Measure the resistance when the pedal is "all the way" and no guitar or amp attached, if it is not 0 then it is a mechanical problem, you need to pull the pot and rotate it that direction until it is 0 then put it back in and try again (actually close to 0 is fine you don't want to hit the end stop of the pot).

Good Luck!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2019 5:55 pm    

Quote:
...That said i thought i had it figured out, i adjusted it and at home seemed ok. Today i played at a gig and i had to turn up the gain and master volume of the amp to get any decent volume.

That could mean either the pulley is loose, or the string is slipping.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 3:18 am    

I believe that there is a video posted on Youtube on the proper procedure for changing the pot which should also include the correct method for winding the string onto the pulley. I agree with Donny, a slipping string could be the culprit.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 9:31 pm     Volume Pedal Problems

The thing that controls a pot volume is the amount of rotation. The pot should turn app. 340 degrees, Allowing from near off to full volume.
The size of the string pulley controls the degree travel of the pot. You may need a smaller string pulley to allow more travel of the pot. This also controls the height of the front of the pedal too, At no volume.
The stops may have to be extended or shortened to allow for precise operation of the volume control.

Some pedals have just a ring on the pot shaft with a set screw. The string actually rolls on the bare pot shaft.