The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  50's Telecaster
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2019 12:31 pm    

It may be a long shot but I'm interested in buying an all original Fender Telecaster from the 50's. I know it will be expensive and I'm willing to pay for the right one. Thanks in advance for considering. TC

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 5:24 am     50's telecaster

have your check book out Shocked Shocked
https://reverb.com/p/fender-telecaster-blonde-1952/used

p.w

Ron Spears

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2019 5:52 pm     50's Tele

I bought a 59 Tele in 75 and played it till 81 and sold it to a dealer in Chicago. All the Teles I had from then on never impressed me until I bought a Fender 58 Custom reissue in 2016. It plays and feels just like my old one. Off white body with a white pickguard. Maple fingerboard. Saved myself about $12,000.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 4:25 pm    

1. A large percentage of 1950's Fenders sold as "all original" are NOT. You really need to be an expert in vintage Fenders and have the necessary inspection tools to check a guitar out *in person* - NOT buy one based on pictures.

2. Because of that, an all-original guitar with a certificate of authenticity from a recognized expert will cost you. There are NO "deals" on all-original guitars except for "barn or closet finds" - and in those cases you have a choice of being honest with a seller in letting them know what they have - or taking advantage of them.

3. For those reasons, if you want a 50's Tele I recommend the ones built by Nacho Banos in Spain. They're absolutely stunning. The only "non original" type details - 1) no Fender decal, and 2) One or two hidden "tells" that indicate to experts that they are NOT intended as "fakes". Incredible instruments and you'll save yourself $25-30k!

https://www.nachoguitars.com
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 7:28 am    

Some years back I bought a Telecaster re-issue that duplicated the Tele from the '50s. It came with a certificate of authenticity from Fender.
You can get into one of them for less than $2,000.
Erv

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 11:54 am    

Sorry T.C. Nothing under the bed but old shoes. But I'll be glad to hijack your thread. Wonder how much this would be worth if it were for sale? It currently resides at Songbirds Museum.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 1:30 am    

I think, as a decades long Tele player, its worth looking for one and I agree with Jim above , grab it from a seasoned outlet like Gruhn. It will require a nice chunk out of your 401K but what the heck. While the price is important, it's not #1. It needs to be from a world renowned dealer and certified. They won't sell an item which would put them out of business for a one time sale. Plus they would buy it back down the road.

Rarely, in 2019 , will we find a complete/original anything before 1960, but they will be sold as original and complete with a hefty price tag, regardless.

good luck in the search !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 9 May 2019 8:21 am    

Not so sure I'm ready to part with this baby, bought if from a friend when I sold my bicycle company 22 years ago. He was selling off his collection to buy a house...you know, grown-up stuff.

It sure does like being in the same room as a new Sierra!

Chris Watkins

Eastern North Carolina
Post  Posted 19 May 2019 9:59 am     50s

This is not a Fender but it's a 59 and Nothing plays like the real thing 😍

Last edited by Chris Watkins on 22 May 2019 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 22 May 2019 7:15 am    

A friend of mine that has a guitar shop in Hawkins, Tx. and he has an original 52 Tele and an original 51 Nocaster. I believe they are still for sale. There's a video on the net of Doyle Dykes playing that 51 Nocaster and I have played it too.
I was a vintage guitar dealer for 40 years in Dallas and sold George Gruen and Japanese dealers many of their guitars back in the 70's and 80's. I've played many original Broadcasters, Nocaster's and 50's Telecasters and I personally would not buy one for just a player guitar. I only would buy them as a collector of vintage guitars hoping it would be a good investment. If you are over 50 years old and pay $15,000.00 to $25,000.00 for a vintage instrument chances are you won't live long enough to make a dime from buying it. Most people that have them got them for a little of nothing. For a playing guitar for a working musician the Fender Custom shop and some Japanese guitars made them exactly like the old ones. It's not a mystery like a Stradivarius how they were made. Just sayin'. If you are still interested in the real thing call Kelly Barber in Hawkins,Tx. at Action Sound Music.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 22 May 2019 2:50 pm    

Thank you David for the most intelligent, knowledgeable and apropos response to this thread.