The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lenny Robert's reso-lectric double neck guitar.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2019 10:15 am    

From Lenny's FB posting .... photos below ...

Quote:
If you’d told me a year ago that early 2019 would see me design and build a double neck/double resonator, lap steel guitar...I probably would have laughed it off.
About ten months ago, I received a phone call from Charly Price explaining in detailed form how he’d lost mobility in his left hand due to a devastating table saw accident. This rendered his career as a musician virtually obsolete for several months. After multiple operations and physiotherapy sessions he re-negotiated his relationship with the guitar by resting the instrument on his knees while sounding notes with the help of a small bottle of whiskey (used as a slide). Open tunings were his new salvation and he adapted most of his repertoire to open E and open D minor, switching onstage between two guitars.

At this point in our conversation Charly explained that he’d recently woken up from a dream where he was playing both tunings on the same instrument, alternating gleefully between necks on a humungoid resonator guitar. His next words have humbly kept me occupied for the last 5 months at the shop : “Will you design and build this instrument for me?!”

I am still dumbfounded.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2019 10:52 am    

That’s very cool! I wonder if he had considered a HipShot tuning device to get two tunings on one neck?