The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inexpensive 8 string
Tom Morse

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 6:26 pm    

I am looking for an inexpensive 8 string. Any opinion between a Morrell or a Vorson or something else. If I could find another used in the 400 - 500 range I would consider. I prefer a console type. I play country and some swing, rock and blues. Also not sure about scale length. I am mainly a guitar player.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 7:22 pm    

Definitely get a Melbert. Incredible value for the money.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 12:55 am    

Check out Jefferson County Music in Imperial MO., which is a little south of St. Louis. They sell 8 string lap steels made by a company called "Dillion" and I thought they played and sounded good, especially considering the cost. Here is a link. http://www.jeffcountymusic.com/?product_cat=sag

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 8:21 am    

My recommendation would be the SX 8 string if you really want something inexpensive. The features are great...nice medium long scale that matches my consoles (24, 24.5"), a proper lap steel type bridge instead of the regular guitar bridges you see on some cheap imports, and it comes with a very nice case and has actual legs and sockets (that I usually don't use). I would say, change the strings straight away (of course) to something you like, and seriously consider swapping the pickup out to something that fits...I found the stock P90 to have poor string balance and too much 60 cycle hum. A Lace Alumitone bar fit nicely in there and solved both issues. With the pickup I was still under $300 for the rig, so that's a pretty decent deal. I've heard good things about the Melberts too, good value for a good product, and made in the US if you are concerned about that.

But rereading it sounds like you'd prefer a console...assumedly multi-neck? Your best bet is to keep an eye on the forum, check in on reverb, etc for a vintage one. Not many people making doublenecks or triplenecks new these days but the vintage ones are still an incredible deal most of the time. But 4-500 is going to be tricky to get under for a vintage (or new) doubleneck. Gibson, Fender, and Ric consoles are going to usually be in the over 1k range. You can get lucky with a Magnatone under that sometimes...and it seems like the National consoles are consistently priced a little closer to your target price point (but still usually over 500). Teiscos sometimes run a bit cheaper as well and are pretty well reputed guitars...

Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 8:41 am    

I think you could add old Carvins to your list of steels to watch out for. Single and ocassionally even double necks could be had in your range. I played one in a shop recently and thought it sounded great.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 9:41 am    

I was going to recommend a Gold tone w/Lollar that was on ebay for $400 starting bid and no bidders but it finally sold.

I haven't tried any of those brands you mention, but there's plenty of old threads about SX, Vorson etc. The deal with mass produced Asian instruments besides gold tone is that you'll probably get something that's playable w/issues, the issues might be easily/cheaply fixable, tighten nuts/bolts, springs under pickup screws, upgrade bridge/tuners/pickup, Deoxit in the pot etc. Just make sure you can get a refund if you need to.

those old threads about Melbert/Allen show lots of happy customers, I don't remember anybody ever complaining about anything but if you need something today you can get a GT off ebay at decent price

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2019 12:25 pm    

Bob's post is worthy of consideration. I wold call Bof and as this questions about howe it sounded!!!! Pretty guitar and might be a keeper.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2019 9:13 pm     Best you can afford

Hi Tom,
Best you can afford is the one you should get.
I've got several from a cheap Chinese Fender 6 to a Clinesmith 8.
In the lower end my Morrell 8 string didn't sound too good when I got it.
Changed the bridge with a wider one I made for 3/8" spacing. After this photo I also changed the nut to a wider one, also aluminum.
Replaced the original pickup with a better one from Jerry Wallace and made a new pickup & control plate to house them. Also replaced the fretboard with a design I liked better.
Now it's an average lap steel, but good for trying out tunings and playing now and then.
Short scale (22.5") makes bar slant a little easier on the lower frets, but a long scale up to 25" is not so much different once you get used to it.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.