The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No Steel Player in the Band?
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 6:29 am    

Figured some guyz would get a kick outta this, unless you’ve already seen it.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 8:01 am    

Laughing That is how you know it is not Country !

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2019 6:19 pm    

One of the reasons I was never a Alabama fan. Never had any use for country without steel or pedal steel. Even a group with a fiddle and no steel guitar did not impress me. I know I could be spanked for saying that, but, that's just me. Been spanked before on here. I am on a gag order in regards to, "Playing with picks" so I have to be good!!! LOL..... Smile Smile Smile Smile

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 2:17 am    

I really like this caption.Here in the UK we have what is known as a a "citizens arrest".Where a member of the public can arrest someone if they have clear grounds to do so.Do you have this right in America as well ? Clearly we should all be doing this to non steelie " country outfits" ,cleaning the place up and freeing up police time in the process LOL LOL 😂

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 6:34 am    

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 7:06 am    

I have something to say that will probably make this topic thread catch fire. There's a post under the "Is Steel Guitar Fading Away" topic that says this about having a steel guitar on stage in country music:

Quote:
I watched the ACM's last night. My opinmion was the music was for anouther generation. But ther were about 6 steel guitar p[layers on stage. A far cry for the about 2 yrs ago there was none. I did not hear but 1 and was on George Straights segment. He was a Zum player. Reba had Mike Johnson and his Emmons and u could not hear him. He was so far down in the mix. No good steel leads. He would be better off staying in Nashville. Also Miranda Lambert had a guy on a GFI.Could not hear him unless he was playing with a Boss tone. Chris Stapleton did 2 songs. The first with only piano and guitar. But the second gdid have a steel. Don't know what kind. And really Jason Aldean had one. Could not hear him either. Mabe there is hope but it will be used in a different kind music. No George Jones or Bucvk Owens kind of stuff. This does make me feel better towards its future. Thanks. If anyone wants to add to this feel free. I'm so old I do not know many new players.

I guess being seen, but not heard is better than being not being seen or heard, but that's a cruddy way of looking at it.

For the people I jam and play out with, I can't get away with feeling entitled to be there or to be up in the mix. They're not terribly familiar with steel guitar or how to use it, so I always feel like I need to put extra judgment into making sure I'm bringing something to the table that they'll feel enhances the song - or just plain stay out of the mix if I can't come up with anything.

Maybe that's the attitude we need to go back to. It'd be great if steel guitar got to the point again where it's seen as a necessity, but being resentful is not the way to get there. I bet the pro players already feel that way, but forming people's impressions of steel guitar is something the rest of us have part in as well.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 7:33 am    

My favorite video is the one with Ray Price and he has Buddy Emmons up front and featured.
Buddy lays some fancy licks on him and Ray just has to shake his head and laugh, now that's country! Very Happy
Erv

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 7:37 am    

There ought to be a thread about steel being to low in the mix on records. I have a Jerry Lee Lewis record where that is the case. Barely audible. Buddy is also to silent on the John Sebastian track in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNynBoHrSk

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 4:30 pm    

Dave Hepworth wrote:
I really like this caption.Here in the UK we have what is known as a a "citizens arrest".Where a member of the public can arrest someone if they have clear grounds to do so.Do you have this right in America as well ? Clearly we should all be doing this to non steelie " country outfits" ,cleaning the place up and freeing up police time in the process LOL LOL 😂

trying that in America would most likely get someone shot! Doesn't happen here.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 5:53 pm    

Rick Upright wrote:

trying that in America would most likely get someone shot! Doesn't happen here.

I don't know about that, Gomer Pyle did it to Barney Phife on the Andy Griffith show. Smile First time I ever heard of that here.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 10:58 am    

How about a citizen's divorce?