The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pay Pal
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 7:47 am    

I've closed my Pay Pal account after having it for years. We moved and evidently Pay Pal is incapable of changing my address and have sent the last two packages to my old address and I had to drive two 90 mile trips to retrieve them I had changed my address twice and it still didn't work. Called Pay Pal and talked to them and all I get is a canned response which doesn't answer my question. So soooooooo long Pay Pal.........clark

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 8:28 am    

Doesn't the order form for the stuff you buy have a place to enter your shipping address? My PayPal account still has my old address (Moved here 2-1/2 years ago - should maybe try to change it), and I always get my packages delivered here.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 9:00 am    

I recently sold some items and on one of them the buyer sent me a note with his current address to ship it to and not his paypal listed address.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 9:16 am    

PayPal doesn't send packages. Sometimes the business you're buying from gives PayPal the wrong address, and then uses it to print the shipping label in PayPal.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 9:23 am    

In PayPal, click the "gear" icon at the top right of the screen. Then click "Account Owner Information" in the list of options on the left. Click "Update" next to your address to edit it.

I hope that helps.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 9:57 am    

More and more sellers (ebay and others) are now accepting credit cards. I like that! Mr. Green

(PayPal processing fees are generally 50% higher than most major credit cards!)

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 10:40 am    

I don't like giving my credit card info to small online stores, or even large ones. Remember the Target security breach? Security is PayPal's business. I use PayPal whenever I can. The fact that they charge the vendor more doesn't bother me a bit.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 11:55 am    

I use PAYPAL for anything internet related, it is also connected to a simple NON overdraft separate account. IF someone wants to clean me out they don't actually get very much ! Maybe half a dinner !

Regarding changing address, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. As the account owner, we can change anything !

Regarding the fee's, yes they can be a tad higher but it is also a major convenience factor and I am NOT using our major CC.

Our ONE CC was just violated last week, we only made TWO purchases for business with it late last month. both phone orders. 4 days later someone was buying all sorts of odd stuff and tried to open 10 Netflix accounts ! None of it was ever approved as the CC police shut the account down for "crazy " activity.

Between my wife and I and Paypal and Amazon, we make easily a dozen transactions each month, never had an issue. Its a service.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 12:45 pm    

I had the same issue here. My orders were going to someones house 30 miles away from me. I filed a complaint with PayPal and they refunded my money and got my address correct. I have lived in the same place for 20 years and have been using PayPal for years.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 12:48 pm    

I really don't want to give a seller my credit card info if I don't have to. PayPal has my credit card info and in the hundreds of times I've bought stuff via PayPal not once has my credit card info been given or transmitted to anyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 2:24 pm    

None of my credit cards are linked to a bank account. If I used PayPal, I'd have to give them acces to a bank account. No way, Jose' . Also, the fact that they're far bigger than my bank, but still would want to charge more just irks me.

I don't much care what y'all do, but it's kind of a no-brainer for me to avoid using it.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 8:51 pm    

You don't need to give PayPal access to your bank account to buy things with PayPal, Donny. All you need is a credit card. PayPal's a lot safer than using your credit card directly to pay some guy selling things out of his garage "store" on the internet. And it doesn't cost you anything.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 5:55 am    

I'd be lost without PayPal.
If I have an overseas buyer, PayPal converts his form of currency to US dollars and puts it in my account. Very Happy
Erv

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 6:00 am    

I've had it ever since I can remember,,,never had (and would NEVER) it connected to bank account,,,,I don't think you even "MUST" have a credit card,,,,I just try to keep enough in the account (from selling a few items) to cover purchases. I do have a small limit card as a back up.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 6:31 am    

Paypal just significantly raised their fees. They will no longer refund the Paypal fees on a refund

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 7:02 am    

I love it. So far,so good. Everything has risks. Pay with a Money Order? No way. Well, maybe if I was buying buggy whips....
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 9:17 am    

PayPal has been a great business partner. I've been using it since 2002, thousands of transactions and never a problem, not even one. It's essential for international sales. As others have said, they handle the currency conversion, and everything is instant, no worries.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 11:43 am    

I was not aware of the PayPal fees increase. It's been a seller fee of 2.9% of the transaction amount plus a fixed $0.30 USD per transaction in the USA. What's the increase?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2019 11:54 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I was not aware of the PayPal fees increase. It's been a seller fee of 2.9% of the transaction amount plus a fixed $0.30 USD per transaction in the USA. What's the increase?

It's mostly international, except for refunds:

Quote:
Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement
  • WeĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. WeĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re also removing any variation depending on the recipientĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s country.

• We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.

• WeĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

Changes go into effect on May 7, 2019.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 2:18 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
None of my credit cards are linked to a bank account. If I used PayPal, I'd have to give them acces to a bank account. No way, Jose' . Also, the fact that they're far bigger than my bank, but still would want to charge more just irks me.

I don't much care what y'all do, but it's kind of a no-brainer for me to avoid using it.

Its a business account , nobody has to do it, it's a million times safer than giving or typing a CC on the net or giving it over the phone .Years upon years now, not a single incident. The only two incidents I have ever had were using a CC over the counter such as a hotel or restaurant.

You do not have to give PAYPAL access to any bank account.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 7:27 am    

b0b wrote:

It's mostly international, except for refunds:

Quote:
Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement

• WeĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

Changes go into effect on May 7, 2019.

Darn. As an occasional ebay seller, I think I'll have to adopt a NO RETURNS policy. The Paypal fee on the saxophone I just sold was $51.00. I can't afford that kind of hit just because somebody changed their mind. I'm not sure what I'll do about forum sales although I've never had anyone from here request to return anything. Maybe only offer a partial refund, sales price minus the Paypal fee.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2019 12:26 am    

If we are selling instruments or gear, we should be over on REVERB anyway, not EBAY . The choices of payments are very flexible as well, including PAYPAL.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 7:01 pm    

My comment here is not quite like you guys are talking about. I do have a pay-pal account and it is connected thru my Discover Credit card. Have had for several years and very easy to use and both stand behind you. I have never had any problems. But a couple of months ago I got HACKED big time, lost everything to hacker. I was on my computer transferring money when they got in. As quick as possible I called them both and my Bank and froze my accounts. Thankfully no loss of money. Got new Discover Card and new pay-pal account and new checking account number and then called the three Credit Reporting Agency and froze my credit. No one can use it to get any kind of credit to buy anything. In today's world nothing is safe, credit cards, bank cards, credit reports, hackers can get any info when they want to. But I also years back went to just two credit cards. Much easier to take care of unlike the days when I had two dozen of them. But THIEVES have been around since recorded history and always will be. J.R. Rose

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 6:50 am    

A link...to "balance" all these glowing experiences:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/paypal_02.html

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2019 7:36 am    

Any system with 254 million users worldwide and 18,000 employees is bound to have occasional problems. But I'll bet that the percentage of problems with PayPal is very low. I've had over 5000 transactions on PayPal, no issues at all.