The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Katana 100
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 9:49 am    

At that point I would probably uninstall anything and everything Katana-related on the computer (including zip annd exe files from the download folder), and do a factory reset on the amp.

The Katana and the computer do not need to be connected for downloading the firmware update. Just download from Boss

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100_mk2/updates_drivers/4d633c80-f506-440e-94ce-055aaba48df3/

And follow the instructions carefully. I think this where most of the problems with BTS start.

Then download and install the driver file.

Phil Hock

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 10:34 am    

Thanks Fred but I've tried all of this. The procedure to install the update still requires an installed driver in order to get a USB connection between the computer and Katana. One of the first steps in the procedure was to get the Katana in Update Mode. I did this before I got to the step where I connect the cable. Of course, when I connected the USB cable, I got the same error and the procedure stopped. I found out a few days later, when I wanted to practice my guitar, all of my presets that I previously created in BTS and downloaded into the amp had been deleted. With them deleted, I figured a Factory Reset might be the answer---but it wasn't---same results. I'm going to try and call the technician I first talked to from the nearest Boss Authorized Service Center. Apparently, Roland believes they have gone as far as the can, or want to, go.

Thanks for trying to help solve this problem. So far, you are the only one trying to help me fix this. I've posted this same problem on a Facebook page but haven't had any responses yet. This appears to be a "unique" problem.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 7:00 pm    

I've been using a Katana 100 for a few years. After some experimenting I settled on the Acoustic setting. But have been frustrated with the sound and responsiveness of my steel (2008 Carter SD-10 with XR-16 pu). Anything above fret 12 seemed dead, couldn't get chimes to ring, poor sustain. Thought it must be me, then began doubting the guitar or pickup. I played with the Boss Tone Studio and dialed in some improvement, but it just "wasn't right."

I saw Stew's post and decided to try the CLEAN setting. MAGIC! The sound opened up, everything is somehow "better." It's like I have a new instrument and my technique is working. A lot of folks seem to like the Acoustic setting for pedal steel, and it might work fine for them. But I seem to have found my "special sauce."

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 7:06 pm    

Phil-
Howbout this?
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-50/updates_drivers/b203b755-260c-4902-acd0-df3b76d7d412/

It says the Katana downloads the driver automatically if it’s connected to your computer and the computer is connected to the internet, and you only need to download it manually if the automatic download fails.

If you haven’t tried it, delete everything again and give it a shot.

Phil Hock

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 8:36 pm    

Fred--
The problem is getting the Katana to connect to the computer via the USB. I tried the manual download but the instructions still call for a USB connection in order to do the install. I've been in contact with the technician from the Authorized Service Center that I first talked to about the problem. He's wondering if Roland can provide the driver software for an off-line installation.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 11:07 pm    

Well we’re both sounding like broken records at this point. It must be very frustrating for you. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 1:53 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:

I saw Stew's post and decided to try the CLEAN setting. MAGIC! The sound opened up, everything is somehow "better." It's like I have a new instrument and my technique is working. A lot of folks seem to like the Acoustic setting for pedal steel, and it might work fine for them. But I seem to have found my "special sauce."

Nice!

stewcrookes.com

Phil Hock

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2024 10:01 am    

Fred--
I finally got an answer to my problem. I tried working with Roland technicians. They kept wanting me to try things that called for the USB connection with the computer. That was the whole problem--I couldn't establish that. I made contact with an authorized Boss service center in Evansville, Indiana. The technician there was very helpful in working with me to find the problem. He had me send the chassis to him for testing. He, and Roland's technicians determine that the problem was in the system board and that the board needed replacement. The two year warranty had expired about ten months earlier. The technician recommended that I contact Roland and explain the situation and see if they would still cover at least the board under warranty. I'm waiting now for their reply.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2024 10:31 am    

Phil-
That’s what I was afraid of. Everything in your posts pointed to the good possibility that you got a lemon for a circuit board. Glad you were able to find the problem at long last. Good luck with Roland. I think they should send you a new amp.